Cosmopolitodus Escheri?

eannis6

Hello all! I found this cosmopolitodus tooth. It appears to have fine serrations. If these are serrations it would be a lower anterior C. Escheri. Can anyone confirm? It’s over 1.5 inches long.

59CD77EF-E532-4E4A-AC77-EF04FC36E836.jpeg

F30FD457-712A-4E8A-9377-7DD5ED62EED9.jpeg

@eannis6

What general area was it found?

From the photos, it does appear to be a Cacharomodus escheri, commonly called the "serrated mako" which are primarily found in Miocene aged sediments. (Note the updated Genus name.)

Also, the Genus is capitalized, the species is not, when using both together.

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

42 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@eannis6

What general area was it found?

From the photos, it does appear to be a Cacharomodus escheri, commonly called the "serrated mako" which are primarily found in Miocene aged sediments. (Note the updated Genus name.)

Also, the Genus is capitalized, the species is not, when using both together.

Cheers,

SA2

Thanks SA2, I found it at Aurora Fossil Museum

I think the edges are chipped and not serrated. I don’t think an escheri has ever been found in North Carolina.

2 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think the edges are chipped and not serrated. I don’t think an escheri has ever been found in North Carolina.

There is chipping but also definite serrations.

17 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It does appear to have serrations...worn, but there.

Upon closer examinations there definately are. Too uniform for chipping alone while there is also chipping.

3 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting NC to be where it was found. Had anticipated VA / MD.

Don't know much biology

I'll tag @MarcoSr and @sixgill pete. One of them can help. Both of them also collected Lee Creek Mine quite a bit, back in the day.

Don't know much biology

I am not sure these are serrations. I have found many teeth from Lee Creek spoil piles with similar edges that are chipped like Al Dente said. And from several species. Also, I am familiar with some I. (or C. depending on your take) xiphodon teeth from Lee Creek, but not escheri. Like Al Dente, I have never heard of escheri from N.C. This tooth is not xiphodon. Personally, I think it is a lower either C. hastalis or I. desori. Would probably have to have it in hand to be sure, but maybe not even then as there is a fair amount of wear to the root.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

8 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

I am not sure these are serrations. I have found many teeth from Lee Creek spoil piles with similar edges that are chipped like Al Dente said. And from several species. Also, I am familiar with some I. (or C. depending on your take) xiphodon teeth from Lee Creek, but not escheri. Like Al Dente, I have never heard of escheri from N.C. This tooth is not xiphodon. Personally, I think it is a lower either C. hastalis or I. desori. Would probably have to have it in hand to be sure, but maybe not even then as there is a fair amount of wear to the root.

Thanks for the help! I see chips, but I’m nearly positive that I also see serrations.

If your coming to the Aurora Fossil Festival, bring the tooth with you. You can have it looked at by folks from the Smithsonian and quite a few of us North Carolina and Virginia Forum members in the fossil exhibit hall.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I hate to say it but I don’t think they are serrations either, blades can have wear like this and commonly do. Sorry.

P.S. I have heard them found in the cliffs but very rarely. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

44 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

If your coming to the Aurora Fossil Festival, bring the tooth with you. You can have it looked at by folks from the Smithsonian and quite a few of us North Carolina and Virginia Forum members in the fossil exhibit hall.

That’s a great idea! I’ll be there!

23 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I hate to say it but I don’t think they are serrations either, blades can have wear like this and commonly do. Sorry.

P.S. I have heard them found in the cliffs but very rarely. 

No need to apologize :) I’m just curious. I like the tooth either way!

19 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

You should! It’s a nice Mako. I’d bet Hastalis though, meaning white shark.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

Find some more cool and unidentified "stuff" and bring a big box for ID to the Aurora Fossil Festival.

Sixgill Pete, Al Dente and other NC Fossil Club memebers will be right inside the entrance door at the Community Building, in the middle of the room. Mrs.SA2, @Daleksec, and I will be on the Comm. Bldg porch displaying with 1 of the VA Museum of Natural History exhibits. Another NCFC exhibit will also be across from us on the porch.

Make sure you seek out a TFF member when there. We usually have a great east coast / Mid-Atlantic member meet up.

Cheers and looking forwarding to meet you!

Don't know much biology

@WhodamanHD should consider catching up with @HoppeHunting and heading down to the Aurora Fossil Festival (with parental chauffeur, of course.) You will not be disappointed.

It's always the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. They even have a Fossil Festival Parade with Miss Fossil Featival!!

If you decide to come, send  @sixgill pete or me a PM and we will make sure we meet up with you and introduce you to the other TFF members. We can also make introduction to at least 1 person involved in the university and/or museum educational displays there.

Don't know much biology

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Find some more cool and unidentified "stuff" and bring a big box for ID to the Aurora Fossil Festival.

Sixgill Pete, Al Dente and other NC Fossil Club memebers will be right inside the entrance door at the Community Building, in the middle of the room. Mrs.SA2, @Daleksec, and I will be on the Comm. Bldg porch displaying with 1 of the VA Museum of Natural History exhibits. Another NCFC exhibit will also be across from us on the porch.

Make sure you seek out a TFF member when there. We usually have a great east coast / Mid-Atlantic member meet up.

Cheers and looking forwarding to meet you!

That sounds fantastic! Thanks very much!

The teeth that my family has from VA that we believe are escheri are partially serrated and all of them are serrated on the crown by the root.  From the pictures it looks like this tooth has an unserrated cutting edge by the root and what looks like serrations start further down the crown.  For this reason I think what you are seeing are chips and nicks and not serrations like Eric and Don have stated and that this tooth is not an escheri.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

8 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

The teeth that my family has from VA that we believe are escheri are partially serrated and all of them are serrated on the crown by the root.  From the pictures it looks like this tooth has an unserrated cutting edge by the root and what looks like serrations start further down the crown.  For this reason I think what you are seeing are chips and nicks and not serrations like Eric and Don have stated and that this tooth is not an escheri.

Marco Sr.

That’s very informative and helpful, thanks Marco. I found another tooth in the Potomac in VA that is only serrated at the root and appears to be a mako. I’ll post pictures later.

Archived