Peat Burns

Next came removal of the skull from matrix. 

20170621_220635.thumb.jpg.367edae2f4c82638717c3a1c3aa8042f.jpg

Peat Burns

In the jaw was a humerus (gives a whole new meaning to putting one's foot it one's mouth).

20170622_132316-1.thumb.jpg.9ea688be16dc3a712dd7fe6f7ed3ac6d.jpg

DatFossilBoy

Absolutely amazing find and pictures.

Wish I could have something this good.

Congrats!

caldigger

Looks like you did a good job of sorting out whats-what. I'll bet it was a big surprise to find the tibia in its mouth.

So watch, we find out the Oreodonts were the fiercest predators of the Oligocene. Lol

Peat Burns

It was at this point that I thought that if this was a T. rex, there would be enough bone elements to call it an "animal" and give it a name.  It's also when I decided that it would be fun to reconstruct the skeleton for display.  I've always wanted to do that on something that I found.  I began by making casts of the real-bone vertebrae to use to make copies to complete the spine with slight modifications depending on location in the spine.  I used silicone rubber and two-part resin for molding and casting, respectively.

20171116_135759.thumb.jpg.0015a24e51910279e4ad05c90b30ce8c.jpg

20171116_225057.thumb.jpg.8ae9ede5aa7cfc73c0b1de8c25395164.jpg

20171114_221308.thumb.jpg.7ab54ad039ca77a1e298bed04c2d318a.jpg

Peat Burns

I then painted cast and sculpted elements to match the real bone.  Color varied from position on the skeleton.  Proximal elements were more caramel / green.  Distal elements were more caramel / tan / brown/ white.  Once I had all the elements I wanted for the mount, I arranged the bones in the position I wanted in the final mount.

20171216_000724.jpg.dfc728b5eb09308b8ce671f7608ec193.jpg

I then mixed up an artificial matrix and color-matched it to the actual matrix that I collected from the site.  Here you can see a piece of the original matrix next to the artificial matrix.

20180305_224414.thumb.jpg.7cb7755c7959db449c0b36d026f81594.jpg

caldigger

Cant wait to see Bingo in its entirety. 

Sagebrush Steve

That’s amazing, you’re doing a great job!  The original find was impressive, and this looks even better.

Pagurus

I'm awestruck. I had to call my wife over to the computer to show her one reason I spend so much time here on the forum. Amazing work!

snolly50

Outstanding effort and result!

Tidgy's Dad

This is a brilliant thread even by the high standards of The Fossil Forum! 

Great find, wonderful photos, a terrific idea and story and what a superb reconstruction. 

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. :)

Fruitbat

Very nicely done!  

-Joe

Darktooth

This is one of the most interesting things I have read in a long time. You Deserve a lot of credit with the work you put in to achieve this reconstruction! Super cool!

Heteromorph

A beautiful and very scientific reconstruction! Not just anyone can do this. Thanks for posting! 

Peat Burns
2 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Absolutely amazing find and pictures.

Wish I could have something this good.

Congrats!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Cant wait to see Bingo in its entirety. 

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

That’s amazing, you’re doing a great job!  The original find was impressive, and this looks even better.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

I'm awestruck. I had to call my wife over to the computer to show her one reason I spend so much time here on the forum. Amazing work!

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Outstanding effort and result!

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This is a brilliant thread even by the high standards of The Fossil Forum! 

Great find, wonderful photos, a terrific idea and story and what a superb reconstruction. 

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. :)

59 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Very nicely done!  

-Joe

40 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

This is one of the most interesting things I have read in a long time. You Deserve a lot of credit with the work you put in to achieve this reconstruction! Super cool!

18 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

A beautiful and very scientific reconstruction! Not just anyone can do this. Thanks for posting! 

Thank you!  You guys *LITERALLY* made my day.  I respect all of your opinions and very much appreciate your affirmation of the results.  As I've said before, it's great to be able to share with folks who have a genuine and deep appreciation for palaeontology.  Thanks again.

Kane

This is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing this entire process from in situ to this remarkable result... The amount of time and skill involved, from casting to sculpting to placement - just, unbelievably wow!!

Ludwigia

Great project with fantastic results! Now I know what you were doing during the cold winter months :) That must have taken up a bucket full of time!

WhodamanHD

An amazing find and an even cooler preparation! The tibia in the jaw was especially cool to me!

ynot

Wonderful prep job and presentation!

Thanks for sharing.