Peat Burns

6 hours ago, Kane said:

This is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing this entire process from in situ to this remarkable result... The amount of time and skill involved, from casting to sculpting to placement - just, unbelievably wow!!

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great project with fantastic results! Now I know what you were doing during the cold winter months :) That must have taken up a bucket full of time!

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

An amazing find and an even cooler preparation! The tibia in the jaw was especially cool to me!

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Wonderful prep job and presentation!

Thanks for sharing.

And @Nimravis

Thanks guys.  I'm blown away by your responses.  Very much appreciated.  :)

Tony 

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

Very interesting and marvelous result ! Thanks for sharing !

BTW, did you remove the muzzle of Bingo ? :D

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Very nice prep and reconstruction. A lot of love went into that.  Well done!!

Wow!  Impressive.  That is a lot of work.  And not only that but that is a lot of really nice work.  I am duly impressed.  What did you use to make fake-matrix?  

@cheney416, @Phevo, @Coco, @Ptychodus04, @Xiphactinus, @jpc, @JohnBrewer, thank you very much.

@jpc, I use this ready-mix grout (pic below).  For white river matrix, I use 2 parts of the "linen" color and 1 part of the "haystack" color mixed thoroughly.  I mix small amounts as I go rather than one giant batch.   It is water soluble until it dries.  After it dries, it is remarkably soluble in acetone, basically turning to wet sand when soaked with acetone.  Therefore totally reversible.

Resized_20180309_155130.thumb.jpeg.2866194de915b6f2597936b38e296135.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

A Keanu Reeves look-alike, a high end Commodore 64, and a VHS camcorder.

I'm embarrassed to say it took me about 30 sec. to figure out what in tarnation you were talking about.  Keanu Reeves? Commodore 64? (haven't heard that in decades).  Then I figured it out.  "That's funny right there.  I don't care who you are." :)

Very clever.

• I found this Informative 4

24 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I'm embarrassed to say it took me about 30 sec. to figure out what in tarnation you were talking about.  Keanu Reeves? Commodore 64? (haven't heard that in decades).  Then I figured it out.  "That's funny right there.  I don't care who you are." :)

Very clever.

I couldn’t help myself. :muahaha:

Wow!  Great thread.  Love the humerus in the jaw picture and also love the grout idea.  Great work Peat!!!  i am exstreamly impressed.

RB

You must be pleased with the results,it looks great and i like the bone map too .

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

8 hours ago, RJB said:

Wow!  Great thread.  Love the humerus in the jaw picture and also love the grout idea.  Great work Peat!!!  i am exstreamly impressed.

RB

7 hours ago, t-tree said:

You must be pleased with the results,it looks great and i like the bone map too .

John

Thank you both.  It was a fun and rewarding project.  "Bingo" has new life as a specimen on display to educate and inspire on-lookers rather than collect dust in the dark of a drawer :)

5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thank you both.  It was a fun and rewarding project.  "Bingo" has new life as a specimen on display to educate and inspire on-lookers rather than collect dust in the dark of a drawer 

No dust on this one.  Good on ya fella!!  I know what you mean by a 'rewarding' project.  Lots of fun for sure.  I can only imagine the time spent, but im sure it was super good time!!!  Nice to have a hobbie that is this good!!!  You are one amazing dude!!!

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

No dust on this one.  Good on ya fella!!  I know what you mean by a 'rewarding' project.  Lots of fun for sure.  I can only imagine the time spent, but im sure it was super good time!!!  Nice to have a hobbie that is this good!!!  You are one amazing dude!!!

RB

Right back at ya, RB.  If there is anybody that understands / appreciates time spent on prep and attention to detail, it is you.  Love your work.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, Peat Burns said:

It was at this point that I thought that if this was a T. rex, there would be enough bone elements to call it an "animal" and give it a name.  It's also when I decided that it would be fun to reconstruct the skeleton for display.  I've always wanted to do that on something that I found.  I began by making casts of the real-bone vertebrae to use to make copies to complete the spine with slight modifications depending on location in the spine.  I used silicone rubber and two-part resin for molding and casting, respectively.

20171116_135759.thumb.jpg.0015a24e51910279e4ad05c90b30ce8c.jpg

20171116_225057.thumb.jpg.8ae9ede5aa7cfc73c0b1de8c25395164.jpg

20171114_221308.thumb.jpg.7ab54ad039ca77a1e298bed04c2d318a.jpg

Did you steal some poor kid's playdough for this?

Also this was truly an amazing job. This really required some time, hard work, and knowledge. You should be quite proud (other than making that kid cry when he realized his playdough was stolen).

4 hours ago, smt126 said:

Also this was truly an amazing job. This really required some time, hard work, and knowledge. You should be quite proud (other than making that kid cry when he realized his playdough was stolen).

The kid was probably just going to eat it or stuff it into the Blu-ray player anyway. :P

Wonderful illustrations of your creation. I have always wanted to find an Oreodont, but after seeing the work entailed in this prep, maybe I will stick to my Iowa City corals and brachiopods!

8 hours ago, smt126 said:

Haha! :)  Thank you.  I have found that modeling clay is a great way to make molds.  It saves silicone rubber by allowing one to make custom-sized molds rather than using containers that may be too big for the item being molded.  Legos work great for this, too.  Sorry kids! :)

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The kid was probably just going to eat it or stuff it into the Blu-ray player anyway. :P

Kids don't play with clay, Legos (unless they are already pre-formed with instructions to make something pictured on the box), army men, Lincoln Logs, Lionel or Tyco trains or other such antiquated things anymore.  They've got virtual reality, DVRs, and Video games! :(

4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Wonderful illustrations of your creation. I have always wanted to find an Oreodont, but after seeing the work entailed in this prep, maybe I will stick to my Iowa City corals and brachiopods!

Thank you, Mike.  Actually, things like Iowa City corals and brachiopods were part of my motivation!  It was taking up all my work space, and I wanted it out of there!  Love me some palaeozoic...

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Kids don't play with clay, Legos (unless they are already pre-formed with instructions to make something pictured on the box), army men, Lincoln Logs, Lionel or Tyco trains or other such antiquated things anymore.  They've got virtual reality, DVRs, and Video games! :(

My “kids” are a bit older (15 & 16) so they don’t currently partake in the options above but... back in their playing prime they had Legos, play dough, army men, Lincoln logs, and an erector set (some of these were originally my toys but they still enjoyed them). Of course, they played with these because my wife and I refused to let them just play video games and watch TV. Oh, they also had a swing set and a fort in the backyard that actually got used daily!!!

On 3/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

My “kids” are a bit older (15 & 16) so they don’t currently partake in the options above but... back in their playing prime they had Legos, play dough, army men, Lincoln logs, and an erector set (some of these were originally my toys but they still enjoyed them). Of course, they played with these because my wife and I refused to let them just play video games and watch TV. Oh, they also had a swing set and a fort in the backyard that actually got used daily!!!

Sounds like some well-raised kids.  I've always felt the older toys like erector, Lego, electric trains, etc. promoted analytical and innovative  thinking, longer attention spans, and a bit about electricity (in the case of electric trains, at least).  Now get off my lawn!:)

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Sounds like some well-raised kids.  I've always felt the older toys like erector, Lego, electric trains, etc. promoted analytical and innovative  thinking, longer attention spans, and a bit about electricity (in the case of electric trains, at least).  Now get off my lawn!:)

I agree wholeheartedly and I’ll get off your lawn as soon as my dog gets finished. :P