NEW find today is very interesting!

RiverHunter312

I recently have been finding bone along a path about 15 or so from a river. We have had a bunch of serious flooding so it is uncovering lots of things.

Today's hike produced quite a group of finds.

This is all in the same place: Du Page river, Northern Illinois, West of Chicago.

I have shared a bunch of bones on this thread:

I was going to continue there but it won't allow me to post pictures or continue writing. Not sure why?  This small piece came from the same spot.

The item I just grabbed without examining to much in the field turns out to be maybe the most interesting. It has a smooth shiny patches on it. It is heavy and looks like it was part of maybe a horn or a toe of some kind. No idea. This intrigued me as it is the first thing I have found that seems fossil-like that isn't coral etc that you expect to find here in Illinois.

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Clearer pictures may help, but I'm thinking this one might be rock, rather than bone. By any chance, can you post clearer pictures here of all the recent specimens on this page? 

38 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Clearer pictures may help, but I'm thinking this one might be rock, rather than bone. By any chance, can you post clearer pictures here of all the recent specimens on this page? 

They look clear on my monitor but maybe aren't as clear as they need to be. I get my camera back tomorrow from a friend who's borrowing it and will post better pictures! Sorry about that. Anxious to discuss these but tried to make due with my phone.

Thanks for initial feedback.

I think rock, but would be interested in seeing new pictures. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I don't see any bone structure in that piece, but that could be because of quality of the photograph. 

4 hours ago, RiverHunter312 said:

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Well it's obviously a fossil snakes head. Probably billions (yes, I said billions!) of years old. I've seen the auction ads and this bugger is even better looking than those. 

You'd better get it on there and make some serious cash from it before someone discovers the truth.:P

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG