Small Tarsal or Carpal

Shellseeker

This is the time that my northern relatives like to seek warmer weather,  so I am juggling guests, traveling , and fossil hunting... I was out Sunday and not again until today..

Once again, I went to a location that I had thought was dug out years ago, including lots of trips by me. Here is a group photo of the "best" finds...IMG_0969grp.jpg.698222fc8201b548086e8de7d0bcd01b.jpg

A great Butterfly osteoderm, 2 chunks of fossilized wood, a camel_llama tooth without roots, a nice 33mm Meg and a tarsal or carpal from an unknown (to me ) mammal. Extra credit for identifying what type of tree provided the wood.

The tarsal/carpal is 32x24x13 mm. I am used to seeing Equus tarsals or carpals.  This one seems really small and maybe is not equus.  All comments, suggestions appreciated.

Some more photos:

IMG_0954CarpalTarsal1.jpg.97467b4b68dcdaefd4804ead9a6c40bc.jpgIMG_0955CarpalTarsal1.jpg.17d1d40b2b82c1f4fdd4cd146122ea09.jpgIMG_0976.jpg.14cb8a94f7d60424026c5b3dcc51b81e.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Can't help, but jolly nice finds! :)

Excellent. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm going to throw "Oak" out there for the pet. wood.

And I am sooo sorry you had to wait a whole 4 days between hunts, it must be painful!

The Butterfly osteoderm has a lovely patina.  Nice finds.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

6 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice little meg!

I agree. I like the meg!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I'm going to throw "Oak" out there for the pet. wood.

And I am sooo sorry you had to wait a whole 4 days between hunts, it must be painful!

It is my job, my addiction, my exercise program, etc.. In season , I go 3-4 times a week (and recognize how lucky I am) .. Do you know how someone who goes to the gym for exercise every other day, says that they get irritated and out of sorts if they are forced to miss a time or two... That's me with fossil hunting:D

There are 2 chunks of wood.. Is it this one you think is Oak, Note the different fossilization in the "bark"..IMG_0947FossilizedWood2.jpg.3b4e76280734fb28bb7f86b1a6ec95f0.jpgIMG_0948FossilizedWood2.jpg.fc795834921e775e2f5b5a6501452873.jpg

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

The Butterfly osteoderm has a lovely patina.  Nice finds.

It is the best one I have ever found.. Goes into the collection....

IMG_0943TurtleButterfly1.jpg.cbe9c165c963fd82e0efb02d0116d79a.jpg

a

54 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

I agree. I like the meg!

A closeup, Note the minimal bourlette.

MegMrg.thumb.jpg.4b3d83a12878315855cdf4178fd2194a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker

That is an absolutely gorgeous little tooth. And, it doesn't take up much space in the display cabinet or shelf. That alone would have made my hunting day. If I found nothing before or after it, the day would have been a success with that in the bag.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Hey Jack, nice finds! Dang, seeing your stuff makes me want to get out in the creeks/river but it just aint happening right now. I did stick my hands in a pond the other day for some inverts. :) Nice finds!

Cant help much...Love the wood pieces...Question for you about the "butterfly osteoderm". I hadnt heard that term before and it sure does look like that doesnt it...Reminds me fondly of the armadillo vert I found awhile back that I call my star wars vert. I had forgotten about it till now. Anyways. thinking your nuchal element might be from Trachemys...might be T. inflata...Looks alot like this one on the UF site. scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/land-mammal-ages/hemphillian/

Harry's got an image in his gallery also. Not sure why when I try to paste the link it automatically copies his image with the copyright but...kudos to Harry!

Keep showing the finds. Keeps me motivated. Thanks! 

Regards, Chris 

"Butterfly osteoderm" is wrong in multiple ways:  It's a bone called a nuchal bone from the carapace of a turtle; it is NOT an osteoderm.  The only resemblance to a butterfly is in a two dimensional image.  This nuchal is highly sculptured like no butterfly.  "Butterfly osteoderm" conveys no useful information; if fact, it conveys misinformation.  It's not even efficient, substituting 18 letters for six.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for explaining, Harry.  I was wondering what the heck a 'butterfly osteoderm' was. 

Cool find, shellseeker. 

Certainly Harry is correct... I referred to this Nuchal bone, which is a somewhat frequent find in Southwest Florida rivers and creeks with a local colloquialism recognizable by many of the local fossil hunters. Not very effective to use terms only recognized locally.

Archived