clay

As I have investigated many unidentified and differently formed fossils, Tilly bones, almost always comes up.  Is "Tilly Bone"  a catch-all term? 

7 minutes ago, clay said:

As I have investigated many unidentified and differently formed fossils, Tilly bones, almost always comes up.  Is "Tilly Bone"  a catch-all term? 

A tilly bone is an enlarged and deformed bone of a fish. Not sure what is the cause of the deformity, disease, injury or genetics.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to TFF , Clay .  It is a great place with good people.  I hope you find it comfortable here. 

On Tilly bones, all the above appliesTillyCompressed.jpg.201e13824e86a0486ae7948e2715b845.jpgTillySbyS.thumb.jpg.4911536b0946f1edd465ee1267e621c0.jpgTillyBone.thumb.jpg.1e17ba863cb368886732d862bbd5081a.jpg.ea2bc4a6f97beec91cf753900c237e4a.jpg

I have found a 100 of this last tilly bone.  Little insight on whether Tilly bones that LOOK the same come from the same species of fish.

I agree that there is lots of confusion about these "bones"  

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

21 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Welcome to TFF , Clay .  It is a great place with good people.  I hope you find it comfortable here. 

On Tilly bones, all the above appliesTillyBone.thumb.jpg.1e17ba863cb368886732d862bbd5081a.jpg.ea2bc4a6f97beec91cf753900c237e4a.jpg

I have found a 100 of this last tilly bone.  Little insight on whether Tilly bones that LOOK the same come from the same species of fish.

I agree that there is lots of confusion about these "bones"  

Hey Clay interesting topic which we've had a number of posts on but I always learn something from them. Just learned the origin of "tilly". 

Hey Jack, I was curious...I think I have only one like this one somewhere but that is it...I have more of the lobed like forms that some call small brain cases. I see this doc that Harry's post just led me to find which has several line drawings of that form but can only see the thumbnail sized images..hopefully someone has the larger form...

JOURNAL ARTICLE

HYPEROSTOSIS IN FLORIDA FOSSIL FISHES

William J. Tiffany III, Robert E. Pelham and Frank W. Howell
Florida Scientist
Vol. 43, No. 1 (Winter, 1980), pp. 44-49
Page Count: 6

Regards, Chris 

22 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

tilly_text.JPG.522d476f4ff5bec5e79a5d5348402ec5.JPG

Hey Harry, I cant remember seeing this info before...thanks! @Harry Pristis

I saw this article below when looking for Konnerth (1966) reference. 

JOURNAL ARTICLE

HYPEROSTOSIS IN FLORIDA FOSSIL FISHES

William J. Tiffany III, Robert E. Pelham and Frank W. Howell
Florida Scientist
Vol. 43, No. 1 (Winter, 1980), pp. 44-49
Page Count: 6

MyJstor.org online access where I found the article only shows thumbnail views of the illustrations of sample tilly bones. Do you or anyone else know a free way to get a copy of the complete text and plates? When I go to the Florida Scientist webpage
they only have back to Volume 70 and this article is back in Vol 43. 

Regards, Chris 
 5aa33fd1cb2b6_FossilfishesTillyFloridaScientist.jpg.e070e9a27a6c66564e9b883e6e868da6.jpg
Regards, Chris 

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Thanks Lori! Much appreciated. Hope all is well and youve been able to get out and hunt recently!

Regards, Chris 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, clay said:

Hey Clay, do you have Tillys from NC or elsewhere? Would be interested in seeing what comes from your area. I've got some old pics of ours but I dont recall seeing any of the NC folks posting many of late but my memory hasnt been very good lately. My oversight for not saying Welcome before!

Regards, Chris 

Most of the Tilly bones I find are elongated (similar to shellseeker's) often with a "fin" (or "sail"; my niece's kid think they look like boats and they balance well).  Recently found a different type: much more rounded, oval or spherical with striations-- possibly from mineralized replaced calcium deposits in the Tilly bones (or at least that's what the experts suggested they are).  So far, two distinct types with no overlap (or maybe I'm not looking carefully enough!)  Would be interesting if they reflected different species or at least different hyperostosed bones. They often have the glossy enamel you expect for fossils, otherwise I would not pick them up.

Please let us know if you figure out more about Tilly bones!

There are different types of "tilly bones". Some of them are hyperostosed fish skull roofs, others are hyperostosed caudal vertebrae. Usually the term is known for hyperostotic neural and haemal spines of thoracic and caudal vertebrae, and they can be of different size and shape (spherical, irregular-spherical, or more or less elongated pear-shaped). Also, the hyperostosis can be situated on different portions along the spines.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The HYPEROSTOSIS IN FLORIDA FOSSIL FISHES was great information!  I don't understand it all quite yet but the pictures gave me a silhouette that had a common look.   Now I'm not so sure if I have one or not, mine seem to be too round.  Thanks so much to everyone that replied!  

Hey Clay, glad to hear it. Here are some of the ones that I have that are like some of those described in the reference. I also have a few of the vertebrae types like Harry has pictured and I just ran across another one that is much more flattened and more like a giant bean in shape... Most seem to have a  general symmetry about them but it can get very distorted.  

5aab26c750f56_TillyFossilexamplesFlorida.thumb.jpg.e7b8e4d24b4073a10292dc038dd28ba3.jpg

Tilly.thumb.jpg.73268ba7c10bfc0a0d1ff212a5fe977a.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Archived