Devonian Coral? From Resteigne

Max-fossils

Hi all,

On my trip to Resteigne last weekend, 

I namely found this thing. At first I thought it was some kind of coral, but others are having their doubts. So now me too! 

Here is the location info:

Resteigne quarry, Belgium

Jemelle Formation (mostly)

Eifelian, middle Devonian; ~ 390 mya 

I started prepping it a little bit, and noticed that this matrix was a little bit softer than the other matrix... So maybe this is from another formation. If I remember correctly, this was one of the few finds from the second level (the levels of the quarry are ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd level. So maybe the different levels indicate a different formation), opposed to the majority of other finds which were from the first level (and have a much harder matrix). 

So. What do you think it is?

Looking forward to your answers!

Max

IMG_6087.JPG

IMG_6088.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_6089.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_6091.JPG

Max Derème

22 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I can see it being a barely preserved fish spine.

Hahaha, I saw that too. It does kinda look like a vertebral column. I am considering it (and definitely hoping it is!), but I don't think it's that... 

Max Derème

No, it's a horn coral, or solitary rugose coral if you like. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

"...and noticed that this matrix was a little bit softer than the other matrix... So maybe this is from another formation. If I remember correctly, this was one of the few finds from the second level (the levels of the quarry are ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd level. So maybe the different levels indicate a different formation)."

Its not necessarily from a different formation. The "Plabutsch-Formation" from the other tread is in most part a hard, dark limestone, but some layers and patches contain clay minerals which makes them softer and also more susceptible for wheatering. Most of the naturally 3D preped specimen are from these softer layers/patches.

Do you have some literature about the Jemelle Formation?

Franz Bernhard

To call it a fish spinal column would require much clearer evidence.

To call it a burrow cast the evidence needed is intrinsically subtle.

The idea that it is the poorly preserved theca of a horn coral that had lived in a dynamic environment does seem to fit nicely in between.

This area appears to show enough information consistent with it being coral to tip the scale that direction as well.

IMG_6088.thumb.JPG.7b9f607e38cb2411f04b1d0f2e6b6678_LI.jpg

Cephalopod cast, similar to this?

Image result for cephalopod fossil

See http://fossiilid.info/57 for more inspiration

15 hours ago, ynot said:

I see no evidence to support either of the previous suggested IDs.

I think it is a burrow cast.

I have never seen a burrow cast with these waves before, have you seen specimens before or can you refer me to any literature?

I don't mean to come off as doubting the authenticity of your claim I just think it is a very interesting subject, and would like to feed my unrelenting curiosity :P

1 hour ago, Phevo said:

Cephalopod cast, similar to this?

Or this, in the degree of preservation.

Seems like another possibility.

IMG_4572a.jpg

Another possibility might be a poorly preserved glass sponge, something in the line of Hydnoceras.

9593371_450_450_676_0_fit_0_a0e8b359d59b1945cc7b289311a2e123.jpg.58ae6e7466803d11c5672cbd958bc4d4.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Some great guesses! This is a tough one to determine. I think at this point we'll need to see more detailed images, and possibly in better light without the plastic background glare.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 9.3.2018 at 9:53 PM, Max-fossils said:

IMG_6089.JPG

You'll have to scrub and scratch off a lot more matrix on the sides and dig down to expose the septa at the orifice for a better chance of identification, but this photo convinces me that this is probably a rugose coral. Acanthophyllum sp. is one that is common there and it comes in all shapes and sizes.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Phevo said:

I have never seen a burrow cast with these waves before, have you seen specimens before or can you refer me to any literature?

I based My opinion on the process of elimination. I can see no features that lead Me to any other conclusion.

It does not have the bone structure expected from a fish spine. (Or any other bone.)

It does not have any "shell" structures that I can see.

There are no septa or other expected coral structures that I can see.

I can not see any substantial difference between the attached matrix and the "fossil". (grain or color.)

It could be a cast of a piece of wood or a burrow cast. 

Burrow casts are much more common, hence My opinion is  -- a burrow cast.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

'Have a theory here that might tony ynot around.

This would represent the horn at the stage when it could no longer resurrect it's theca and began to remove sediment with it's tentacles in a stationary race with sedimentation.

IMG_6089.thumb.JPG.a49482814160ae150394e88f6384d611_LI.jpg

@Rockwood @Tidgy's Dad @ynot @FranzBernhard @Kane @Pachy @Phevo @abyssunder @Ludwigia

Well thanks everyone for the replies! Very interesting suggestions!

So, to resume, the 3 main possibilities so far are:

1) rugose coral

2) burrow cast

3) cephalopod cast

Personally, I can't say which one is right. Everyone seems to have very valid points on why they think it's this, and many of the pictures shared do share common points with mine. I will try to get some of the matrix prepped off asap (which might be in a bit of time, seeing the loads of school work I have (which is also why I am only looking back at this now)) and take some better pictures then. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Archived