Oreodont skull

Fennecfox

Hi I have not been here for a while and was wondering what to look for in a good oreodont skull. Some of the ones I have seen seem to be all plaster? Not sure but any advice would be helpful.

Personally I would rather have an incomplete skull that I know is all real fossil then one that has restoration. Look closely at the sagittal crest, zygomatic arches, and the  ramus of the mandible. These are the most common places that are restored. A good/honest dealer will disclose the restoration and where it is. Ask questions before you lay any $$ down. This of course is my own preferences and some folks don't care as long as it looks good and the price is right. Hope this helps.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hi thank you here are some pics  and prices of possible ones. Any opinions would be great. Okay The first one 1895. the 2nd one approx. 800 the 3rd one approx. 770, 4th one 1595. and last one 1295. the 2nd and 3rd are on ebay, the others I just picked the ones I liked are from a place in Alberta . These are CAD prices. I would like to be able to see in person but are the prices from the shop rather high. I have bought a few fossils from ebay including the Equus ice age skull I had posted here 2 years ago. Not sure what what to think btw the guy that restores the oreodont I just looked at here wow amazing.     

A.png

o1.jpg

O2..jpg

B.png

G.png

3rd one looks good, 4th is a horse (Mesohippus), and the last one looks real good.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thank you are right I am an idiot I did not notice that one was a horse. That is why I love this forum. I am going to ask for more pics on number 4 and see if their price is firm. Do you think the price if fair or too high. I saw someone on Ebay once selling a so called fossil cat skull that was actually a caracal skull. I had a pet caracal and when he passed away someone I knew  wanted the skeleton. I said no he was cremated. If I get some better pics of 4 I will post them here. Thanks guys for your help. btw here was my caracal Kalua

kalua.bmp

IMG_20160329_0001 (2).jpg

7 hours ago, jpc said:

but you have to do the black light thing in the dark....

JP- The handheld one that I purchased works well enough with normal lights on- I can still see restoration.

2 hours ago, Fennecfox said:

IMG_20160329_0001 (2).jpg

What a beautiful snuggle bunny!  

I am sure you miss it dearly. I'm a "cat" person if you couldn't tell.

I believe you can do better - $ wise, than the prices listed. Try contacting Douglas Fossils to see if they may have what you seek. They would have the advantage of being directly in the locale of collection and I believe the price would be more advantageous. However, the steep shipping cost to Canada may erode that advantage????

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you I did notice even with conversion there was a diff between prices in Canada and US for these skulls. This shop is in Alberta so I cannot see it in person but I am not in a rush I can look around and see, I will try Douglas Fossils to see what they have. To Caldigger yes Kalua was raised by me as a kitten and was extremely tame. I used to have a whole zoo from fennec foxes, Prevost Squirrel, minks, possums and many monitor lizards from Nile to 8 foot croc monitors. They are arboreal and have super long tails but very touchy. I have the scar on my arm to prove it. 16 stitches when the male Zulu bit me. My fault. He was defending his mate as I was bringing in the food. He saw me as a threat. They will curl their tails and hiss. Once he bit I could see all my tendons and muscles exposed and wrapped a large bandage until I got to emergency. Comes with the territory if you have large reps. Thanks to all here for your advice. I am an amateur but am learning more as I go along.  

That caracal is magnificent! (I'm also a 'cat person')  

As for the oreodont skulls in question...#1 does seem to have some restoration on the sagittal crest, perhaps on the zygomatic arch and a little on the mandible; #2 has some extensive (and not very well done) restoration to the front of the skull the sagittal crest and perhaps the zygomatic arch; #3 looks pretty good with the possible exception of the nasals; #5...I can't tell much because of the angle at which it was photographed.

Now...if you want to see one with no restoration at all...try THIS one:

med_gallery_330_105_184105.jpg 

Sometimes you get lucky!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

6 hours ago, Nimravis said:

JP- The handheld one that I purchased works well enough with normal lights on- I can still see restoration.

I am intrigued... what kind do you have?

I will let you know tomorrow- I bought it to look for scorpions at my sisters house in Georgia. 

On 3/10/2018 at 1:31 PM, jpc said:

I am intrigued... what kind do you have?

JP- Here is a pic of a rhino jaw (lights on) with a little restoration. You can see the enamel glow and at the base of the tooth, the restoration. The handheld id below, it is really great for scorpions.

IMG_1359.PNG.bfe39d4de969874b26453c4167ccd10d.PNGIMG_1358.PNG.269945a9bf8ae8e3ff7d92bdc99f2904.PNGIMG_1356.thumb.jpg.dcd0633e91f3940e35e6a07c0967580d.jpgIMG_1357.thumb.jpg.1b2efa2e34055a903ff2823fb5fc73ab.jpg

Oh yes, the Vansky 3000

Because it looks to me like it has 3000 little LEDs. Theres a lot of lights in that thing!

What, did they make a UV flashlight out of a shower head?!

Mine only has 9 LEDs. It works good for walking about shows and spotting repairs.

Cool little light.  Do you know if it is UV a,b or c?  The three wavelengths show different things on fossils.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Cool little light.  Do you know if it is UV a,b or c?  The three wavelengths show different things on fossils.  

I do not know- sorry.

On 13/03/2018 at 1:43 AM, Nimravis said:

JP- Here is a pic of a rhino jaw (lights on) with a little restoration. You can see the enamel glow and at the base of the tooth, the restoration. The handheld id below, it is really great for scorpions.

IMG_1359.PNG.bfe39d4de969874b26453c4167ccd10d.PNGIMG_1358.PNG.269945a9bf8ae8e3ff7d92bdc99f2904.PNGIMG_1356.thumb.jpg.dcd0633e91f3940e35e6a07c0967580d.jpgIMG_1357.thumb.jpg.1b2efa2e34055a903ff2823fb5fc73ab.jpg

That’s what I use. Mine came from the big auction sites and was £5 plus shipping from China. 

3 hours ago, jpc said:

I believe the hand held flashlight types are long wave, as opposed to the short wave units that have the longer bulbs. If that answers your question. I've never heard of a,b,c. Just long or short wave.

8 hours ago, jpc said:

Just checked, the Vansky is spec’d at 395nm with 51 LEDs.  $10.99 at Amazon.

Archived