Max-fossils

Hi all,

During my trip to Resteigne,

I namely found this coral. 

Here is the location info:

Resteigne quarry, Belgium

Jemelle Formation (mostly)

Eifelian, middle Devonian; ~ 390 mya 

Any possibility to name the species do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Max

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It looks like some variation of horn coral. Not exactly the expert, though.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Just now, MeargleSchmeargl said:

It looks like some variation of horn coral. Not exactly the expert, though.

Ok, thanks for the help! Well you're already more of an expert than me... I would not have been able to say it was horn coral! :D

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

I wouldn't be too disappointed if the perfect ID does not come along for this one. Corals can be notoriously tough to ID down to species level without cutting slices and/or performing acetate peels. 

That being said, perhaps there is someone on here who is a bit of a whiz on corals in the Jemelle Fm! :fingerscrossed:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 10:44 PM, Kane said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed if the perfect ID does not come along for this one. Corals can be notoriously tough to ID down to species level without cutting slices and/or performing acetate peels. 

That being said, perhaps there is someone on here who is a bit of a whiz on corals in the Jemelle Fm! :fingerscrossed:

Perhaps indeed! 

I won't be disappointed if this one doesn't get IDd to species level. As my knowledge of corals is very limited, it's okay if I keep the label to something like "rugose coral". 

Anyways, I will prep this thing when I have the time, and I will then share more pictures of it once prepped. Likely the ID will be easier to do once prepped.

Max Derème

Archived