Bivalve from the Zandmotor

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Found this on the Zandmotor, Netherlands. Most likely from the Eem Formation, Eemian, Pleistocene; 120'000 years old. 

Though most of it is not there, enough of it is present (such as the umbo, and one full side (which allows us to see what the general shape and size would be)) to be identified.

I am thinking that it may be Politiapes ruditapes, but that is a wild guess. 

What do you guys think it is?

Thanks in advance!

Max

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

No bivalve expert. Shame the poor thing's broke. :megalodon_broken01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

No bivalve expert. Shame the poor thing's broke. :megalodon_broken01:

Indeed a shame! :(

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

The dentition, muscle adductor scar, ornamentation and shape would not rule out your guess. 

Could be 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The dentition, muscle adductor scar, ornamentation and shape would not rule out your guess. 

Could be 

Well, this weekend I went to a fossil fair in Ede, and there I talked to Bram Langeveld (from the WTKG and the Natuurhistorisch Rotterdam) who knows a lot about bivalves, and he confirmed that this was indeed very likely a P. ruditapes. Even though this is a broken specimen, I am still very pleased with it because it is an uncommon species and a new one to my collection! :D

Max Derème

26 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Well, this weekend I went to a fossil fair in Ede, and there I talked to Bram Langeveld (from the WTKG and the Natuurhistorisch Rotterdam) who knows a lot about bivalves, and he confirmed that this was indeed very likely a P. ruditapes. Even though this is a broken specimen, I am still very pleased with it because it is an uncommon species and a new one to my collection! :D

Hopefully you'll find a more complete one before long. 

I'd be pleased with it too! 

And it's always nice to have your guesses confirmed by the experts. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

21 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hopefully you'll find a more complete one before long. 

I'd be pleased with it too! 

And it's always nice to have your guesses confirmed by the experts. :)

It is indeed! Thanks ^_^

Max Derème

• 4 weeks later...

Update: It's actually a Politiapes decussatus! :)

Max Derème

Archived