What kind of Mosasaur?

HoppeHunting

Hi all,

This is supposedly a mosasaur tooth. I dug it out of one of those fossil dig kits you can order online. The product stated that it is a mosasaur tooth but did not specify which species. I know there are several creatures that are classified as a mosasaur, but I'd like to know which one mine is. Because it came from a dig kit that didn't specify time periods, I don't know how old the tooth is. It is slightly over one inch, and two very defined cutting edges. I'm aware that assigning this tooth to a specific mosasaur is likely very difficult if not impossible, but I'd appreciate any input. If it's deemed unidentifiable, I'll gladly toss it in a shelf labled "Mosasaur." Just thought it might be cool to know which one I've got. Thanks!

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

No expert on Mosas, but that is a cool tooth! :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Normally these gift Mosasaur teeth are Liodon Anceps, but I am not sure because sometimes they are completely random. But that is a good sized mosasaur tooth for something that you got in a little kit.

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I say prognathodon, but that is based off of little more than a feeling. @LordTrilobite Will almost surely know.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's hard to tell on these photos whether the enamel is smooth or has vertical ridges. If it's smooth it might be Prognathodon sp.

Loose teeth are notoriously hard to identify. There's a lot of heterodonty in some mosasaurs and many mosasaurs have quite similar teeth.

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

It's hard to tell on these photos whether the enamel is smooth or has vertical ridges. If it's smooth it might be Prognathodon sp.

Loose teeth are notoriously hard to identify. There's a lot of heterodonty in some mosasaurs and many mosasaurs have quite similar teeth.

It appears to have vertical ridges. Would it help if I posted some close-up shots of the enamel?

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

it's almost certainly Moroccan, in my opinion, and therefore could be one of several species. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If there are vertical ridges, and with that shape, then I'm not sure what genus it is.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite