Bellacartwrightia?

MarcusFossils

Hello, 

A buddy recently gave me this snazzy trilobite, but unfortunately the label on the back said 'Metacanthina', which I think is wrong.. 

Is this a New York Bellacartwrightia? 

Cheers, 

Marc 

Screenshot_20180310-085446.png

Screenshot_20180310-085456.png

• I found this Informative 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

The pygidial spikes/lappets appear too short and blunted to be a Bellacartwrightia whiteleyi. It is an asteropygid of some sort, and if it comes from NY (possibly?), @GerryK would likely know.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Your trilobite is a Bellacartwrightia and it does like like it came from New York. I can't determine the species without a good picture of the pygidium.

8 minutes ago, GerryK said:

Your trilobite is a Bellacartwrightia and it does like like it came from New York. I can't determine the species without a good picture of the pygidium.

Do these do the trick? 

Screenshot_20180312-132457.png

Screenshot_20180312-132508.png

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

After looking at the pygidium pictures, I’m not sure what species you have. The pygidium lappets are short, wide and flat which eliminates B. whiteleyi and Bellacartwrightia sp. from Penn Dixie Quarry. The closest species your specimen comes to is B. phyllocaudata.  If your buddy friend knows the locality, that information may help.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, GerryK said:

After looking at the pygidium pictures, I’m not sure what species you have. The pygidium lappets are short, wide and flat which eliminates B. whiteleyi and Bellacartwrightia sp. from Penn Dixie Quarry. The closest species your specimen comes to is B. phyllocaudata.  If your buddy friend knows the locality, that information may help.

I have no information at all, which is why this specimen was given away to me.

Edgar Allan Poe