Hi. Please forgive this ignorant amateur who has little knowledge of fossils. I would appreciate any feedback. I recently bought these from China and regrettably fear that they are not real. I placed one in water and sediment showed up. It also had a strange sweet smell, and from what I've read, they're not supposed to have any odour. Also, I can scrape it with a knife. Did I spend $50 on snarge?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think they may be turtle coprolites. 

I think they're real, I had one almost exactly the same as the one on the bottom left, and have seen many like the other two. 

They're not uncommon or expensive, so can't see the reason for any jiggery-pokery..

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The auction site is full of them from China, claim to be corprolites dinosaurs :P  I think they are from Madagascar and marketed from china.  Are they minerals like the Washington State ones.

Edit

Online dealers are selling these cheap 25 USD as turtle from Madagascar 

Thank you for your inputs. The seller stated that they were " rare dinosaur dung fossil petrified poop". So, they are turtle droppings and not necessarily millions of years old. Right? But I still don't understand why I can scrape tiny pieces off ( doesn't petrified mean hard like a rock?) and, why the sweet smelling odour when I put it in water?

11 minutes ago, Tinad said:

Thank you for your inputs. The seller stated that they were " rare dinosaur dung fossil petrified poop". So, they are turtle droppings and not necessarily millions of years old. Right? But I still don't understand why I can scrape tiny pieces off ( doesn't petrified mean hard like a rock?) and, why the sweet smelling odour when I put it in water?

I believe it's inconclusive what they are if you read the TFF post that I attached.  

Keep in mind that animals have been producing coprolites since they first appeared and they continue to do so today!  Without any specific provenance (China is a BIG place), there is no telling how old these things (if they are indeed coprolites) may be.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think they may be turtle coprolites. 

I think they're real, I had one almost exactly the same as the one on the bottom left, and have seen many like the other two. 

They're not uncommon or expensive, so can't see the reason for any jiggery-pokery..

Adam, can you please explain the term "jiggery- pokery"?  Is this a magic spell from Harry Potter?:hearty-laugh:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If anybody is going to recognize turtle poop it's this guy ---> Tidgy's Dad.

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Adam, can you please explain the term "jiggery- pokery"?  Is this a magic spell from Harry Potter?:hearty-laugh:

It's the very latest  scientific term used for the fabrication of, or compositing of fossils. 

I'll post the paper.

Later. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 hours ago, Tinad said:

But I still don't understand why I can scrape tiny pieces off ( doesn't petrified mean hard like a rock?

Rocks come in all sorts of different hardness. Some are loosely consolidated and can be picked apart quite easily while others can be quite hard.

Sometimes a glue will be used to stabilize things that are very fragile. Putting Your pieces in water may have weakened the glue used on these pieces.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hi,

Isn't odour come from pyrite or metal mineral ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree! No one here at TFF knows more about the essence of a good poop than our friend @Tidgy's Dad! And if he says it's a poop, then I believe! :rofl:

I have as an example a deceitful seller who deceived me and continues to deceive others by selling at our favorite auction site, siderite concretions as if they were coprolites of Niobrara Chalk Formation:

image.png.7c75abcc873baff912226e0cf5883a4a.png

Note: I've never been fooled by a Chinese salesman, I've never been fooled by a Moroccan salesman ... It was an American salesman who fooled me!

And when the siderite concretion does not look like a coprolite at all, it sells like: "Alive Rainbow Boji Stones aka Kansas Pop Rocks Shamanic Healing Energy"! Look:

image.png.d315374cdaa28b248d5f9c1e7d067f95.png

Or "Pop Rocks - Boji Stones Shaman Moqui Healing crystal nodules". Look:

image.png.0c69c4d8d52658d33cff583fcb64f805.png

So here we have a clear demonstration that not all the concretions of a certain mineral, like the siderite, for example, look like a coprolite, on the contrary, most do not look at all!

Now when the subject is Madagascar coprolite, absolutely they all have the typical poop format:

image.png.1ae6e15cea6507e6810b1d7f6afdaf0f.png

And I simply refuse to believe that all of them can be merely mere coincidence or mere chance!

Below are two more examples that are deposited in my private collection:

image.png.1b9b498104e51388d62b1e22ea86443d.png

image.png.6cca3ec16c25c41b727da2ff5ac53642.png

And it is in this type of rock matrix in which they are discovered:

image.png.d2a51bd0467c7bdf4f9f46bbd7cad8be.png

image.png.7ed67701751560a6074132402c197d18.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

7 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree! No one here at TFF knows more about the essence of a good poop than our friend @Tidgy's Dad! And if he says it's a poop, then I believe! :rofl:

I have as an example a deceitful seller who deceived me and continues to deceive others by selling at our favorite auction site, siderite concretions as if they were coprolites of Niobrara Chalk Formation:

Note: I've never been fooled by a Chinese salesman, I've never been fooled by a Moroccan salesman ... It was an American salesman who fooled me!

And when the siderite concretion does not look like a coprolite at all, it sells like: "Alive Rainbow Boji Stones aka Kansas Pop Rocks Shamanic Healing Energy"! Look:

Or "Pop Rocks - Boji Stones Shaman Moqui Healing crystal nodules". Look:

So here we have a clear demonstration that not all the concretions of a certain mineral, like the siderite, for example, look like a coprolite, on the contrary, most do not look at all!

Now when the subject is Madagascar coprolite, absolutely they all have the typical poop format:

And I simply refuse to believe that all of them can be merely mere coincidence or mere chance!

Below are two more examples that are deposited in my private collection:

And it is in this type of rock matrix in which they are discovered:

You seem to be well informed about poop yourself, my friend! 

You have lots of lovely poop there! 

Do you spend a lot of time licking it? ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Licking it??? Yucky poo! I'm having a hard enough time slicing a piece so I can make a pendant for a special boy!

but thanks for the informative update.

25 minutes ago, Tinad said:

Licking it??? Yucky poo! I'm having a hard enough time slicing a piece so I can make a pendant for a special boy!

but thanks for the informative update.

If it sticks to your tongue, it's a good indication that it might be a coprolite. 

Or so they say.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

On 01/04/2018 at 8:36 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

You seem to be well informed about poop yourself, my friend! 

You have lots of lovely poop there! 

Do you spend a lot of time licking it? ;)

I just lick when I'm in doubt! If it sticks easily on my tongue and possesses sweet taste and smell, then it is an excellent indication that it can be a good coprolite! :muahaha:

:rofl:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived