Kris D

York River State Park

Kris D

These are the best items we found today. Anyone know what the dark, curved piece in the middle might be?

20180310_140926.jpg

Darktooth

Looks like a piece of a epiphysis. Which is abone that form in between two vertebrae in young marine animals and eventually as the animals age they fuse to the  vertabae. They are often referred to as cookies. Because when whole that is what they resemble. 

Kris D

Thanks so much, Darktooth. This one would be nearly 5" in diameter if complete. Is that possible?

Darktooth

I would think so, if it came from a whale.

Kris D

So cool!  Thanks a bunch!!

Darktooth

Any chance you could take a pic of the other side. I just want to make sure , because epiphysis are usually rough textured on one side and smoother on the other.

Darktooth

Here is an example. This one was found at Calvert Cliffs. @Kris D

20180310_154027.jpg

20180310_154037.jpg

WhodamanHD

A) that Ecphora is massive and beautiful and B. ) that shark vertebrae is lamnoid, possibly Mako. Very nice finds indeed:envy:

Kris D

I would never have guessed what that was. I wonder what accounts for the color difference.

Darktooth

Looks different from mine  but I think that is what it is.. Could be different animal. Lets see what others say.

Kris D

@WhodamanHD

That was also the first time I'd seen one of those. I almost wasn't sure if it was a fossil because it was in such good shape. Thanks for the info. I don't know much about this stuff...

WhodamanHD
15 minutes ago, Kris D said:

@WhodamanHD

That was also the first time I'd seen one of those. I almost wasn't sure if it was a fossil because it was in such good shape. Thanks for the info. I don't know much about this stuff...

Amazing what the ground preserves! You will learn a lot on TFF (I have), lots of very knowledgeable people here. Good to see another hunter in the area!

Kris D

I feel pretty lazy -- just finding stuff and posting pics, saying, "Hey! Anybody know what this thing is???"  But people here sure are nice and seem to be able to quickly identify items. It's an invaluable resource.

WhodamanHD
6 hours ago, Kris D said:

I feel pretty lazy -- just finding stuff and posting pics, saying, "Hey! Anybody know what this thing is???"  But people here sure are nice and seem to be able to quickly identify items. It's an invaluable resource.

Still counts as a contribution, think about all those that will take a look at this thread in the future and learn about cookies!

Plax

I'm liking the clam steinkerns with the barnacle attachments

Kris D

@Plax, I wondered what made that pretty design! :)