Fossil Lobster Prep.

RJB

About two or three years ago I bought this lobster concretion from a guy at the Gem and Mineral show right here in Helena Montana.  Ive been working on it here and there and its finally looking like a lobster.  Ive still got about 20 hours to finish this one up?  This one is known as Hoploparia.   The longer clawed ones are known as paleonepherops.  I have the longer clawed ones, but now I will have the shorter clawed one too.  Life is good!  Oh, and also a picture of the longer clawed one to show the difference. 

RB

DSCN1482.JPG

Biglob1C.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Wow! 

Really nice piece.You are doing an amazing job!

Cant wait to see it completely prepped.

Congratulation.

30 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Man, i bet your house is like a museum! Great stuff. 

I can only wish. 

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Is that from the west coast?

This is from the Bear Paw Formation.  Most likely from Montana.

RB

12 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Oh wow, that is nice!

Thank you Peat, but this will only take one 50th the time youve spent on your fossil project.  You are my new hero!!! 

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thank you Peat, but this will only take one 50th the time youve spent on your fossil project.  You are my new hero!!! 

RB

Lol!  Apples to oranges.  Your work requires some serious care, patience, and know-how.  I envision those crabs and lobsters being in very hard rock and sticky.  I'd pry have those peppered with tool marks...  you do beautiful / professional work.

10 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Lol!  Apples to oranges.  Your work requires some serious care, patience, and know-how.  I envision those crabs and lobsters being in very hard rock and sticky.  I'd pry have those peppered with tool marks...  you do beautiful / professional work.

Yeah, we can go back and forth, but you are the true master my friend!   Im just a little pee-on compared to you.  I just work on rocks, you can make an intire skelliton from a piece of bone!!!   Im still in AWE!!!

RB

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Yeah, we can go back and forth, but you are the true master my friend!   Im just a little pee-on compared to you.  I just work on rocks, you can make an intire skelliton from a piece of bone!!!   Im still in AWE!!!

RB

Well consider me humbled.  I've always respected and admired your work and that of @Ptychodus04 :)

5 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Well consider me humbled.  I've always respected and admired your work and that of @Ptychodus04 :)

Thanks. There are definitely some top level preparators here and some who are well on their way. Keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 1:47 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

There are definitely some top level preparators here and some who are well on their way. Keep up the great work!

Hey Kris, I think Im one of those that may be on my way?  I can always hope. :)

RB

Aaaalrighty then!!!  I put in quite a few more hours into this thing and its turning out purty dang nice!  Found some more leg on the right side too.  Legs are hard to come by!   Ive got some serious and some minor rock rebuilding to do and already have done some build up of the major part in order to make it look like a complete concretion and have also done a little bit of 'rebuild' two part puttty on parts of the tail end too.  Believe me, its really hard to get a good lobster, but this one is turning out purty dang good. Gunna take about  8 more hours to finish this one up but Im purty dang happy with this one.  Soooooooo nice to get a good lobster!!  I also know that I cant ask forum members for 'whats it worth' , but I already know that this is worth,,,,,,,, $37,865.27.  Thats just my way of saying its not for sale.  :)

RB

DSCN1546.JPG

DSCN1547.JPG

I forgot to post this repair part. Take a look at the top photo with the missing rock and then check out this rock repair!! Turned out really really good!!   I even surprized myself!!  A really good job!!! 

RB

DSCN1548.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Kris, I think Im one of those that may be on my way?  I can always hope. :)

RB

The lobster is coming along nicely! I think you’re getting to be a pretty good prepper. :P

Yah right! You were an excellent prepper when I was still in grade school!!

Coming along nicely. :)

It's like it's been prawn again. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The lobster is coming along nicely! I think you’re getting to be a pretty good prepper. :P

Yah right! You were an excellent prepper when I was still in grade school!!

Thats Kris's suttle way of saying you're old. :ighappy:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 3/10/2018 at 9:09 PM, ynot said:

Got ant butter to go with those lobsters?

:popcorn::popcorn:(My popcorn already has some.)

Not sure what theaters you frequent Tony,  but the ones around here don't offer ant butter. Yuck!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

45 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:P I prefer to think of Ron as well seasoned.

Is that why his hair is all salt and peppered?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Not sure what theaters you frequent Tony,  but the ones around here don't offer ant butter. Yuck!

That is the best butter You will ever find, but it is real hard milking the ants.:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

You know... Ron is not by himself, but he has created and enhanced a new style of posting on a TFF Thread, show your prep techniques and progress along the path to an exquisite work of art. 

I am really pleased to see detailed glimpses of a world I never dreamed existed..  Thanks for the education..  :goodjob:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

You know... Ron is not by himself, but he has created and enhanced a new style of posting on a TFF Thread, show your prep techniques and progress along the path to an exquisite work of art. 

I am really pleased to see detailed glimpses of a world I never dreamed existed..  Thanks for the education..  :goodjob:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.