Heavy Bison Lean but not sold yet

older the better

i found this tooth on a gravel bar today, I'm thinking buffalo but seems big even for that, ive found horn cores part of a skull and a few leg bones of a buffalo up river but they are still bone. this tooth could be from the same animal but it seems unusually dense so it may be fossilized and therefore from another animal. or bison teeth are naturally dense i don't know looking for help with id. if my osteology class taught me anything i can tell you its an upper right molar but that's all I'm confident about. 

IMG_8581.JPG

The degree to which the stylid is attached to or isolated from the rest of the tooth is used to distinguish bison from cow.

From what I can tell from the last image, it appears to be attached, which would argue for it being from a cow (or a big ole' bull).

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Clipboard03.jpg.9635dfa0ff8581ae2a5951868358b381.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.89c68ee89ea796550b1db04b15d54e6a.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg.f42f2f0bb28853d4d87c84cb75988bed.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg.92683373af2a864ef854c01575f3b514.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library