Need some help with keichousaurus shenanigans

Hi all. I have here two keichousaurus specimens and I need some help determining which one is real, or if they're both real, or if they're all fake, etc. pics 1 & 2 are from the same specimen and pic 3 is the other one.

IMG_0777.PNG

IMG_0778.PNG

IMG_0779.PNG

I think picture three is a beautiful specimen that I would rather like in my collection. 

The other one looks a bit too perfect in it's thoracic section, I think some of those ribs have been carved or otherwise "improved". 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They are ok but the first one looks like the vertebrate has been damaged in prep and a little ground down. I am no except just going by my specimens . Cheers Bobby 

Both are genuine, but as Bobby said, the vertebrae have been grounded down.  Both are typical acid washed specimens.

Tidgy's Dad, the ribs look fine to me.  Many Keichousaurus have well-preserved skeletons and the ribs are almost perfectly preserved.  Look at one of my manually prepped specimens.

RKZT9932.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Sorry to hijack this thread but i have a question about a couple of Keichousaurus fossils and thought it would be better to post it on an existing thread rather than creating another Keichousaurus thread.

These are jevunile Keichousaurus fossils and wanted to know if they are authentic. Thanks.

1650_0.JPG

1650_2.JPG

1650_3.JPG

1650_12.JPG

1650_13.JPG

1650_7.JPG

All of these baby Keichousaurus are genuine.  The local people call them ‘natural form’, meaning it shows clearly the fossil after splitting the slab without prepping.  As steelhead9 said, they are very difficult to prep, but normally they are not prepped.   Look at my specimen below.

F8849BB5-DC74-4F3B-AB24-7EE8B29D28F7.jpeg

2DA48553-AAAB-4985-9DE5-D86DD0E30729.png

• I found this Informative 4

Hi theres no harm in you doing your own post, plenty of TFF members are interested in keichousaurus. As for prepping them a lot are very badly prepared or butchered using abrasive tools . I think the best prep is done by acid. I can’t help with any details of how to carry out this. But if you ask the question how to prep a keichousaurus there will be some very knowledgeable TFF members with the answers. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi theres no harm in you doing your own post, plenty of TFF members are interested in keichousaurus. As for prepping them a lot are very badly prepared or butchered using abrasive tools . I think the best prep is done by acid. I can’t help with any details of how to carry out this. But if you ask the question how to prep a keichousaurus there will be some very knowledgeable TFF members with the answers. Good luck.

In Guizhou where Keichousaurus is found, the local people basically adopt two prepping method, one is acid washing and mechanical grinding, the other is manual prepping with simple hand tools.  The former method is for hard slab and the latter is for soft slab.  Look at the following photos for comparison.  First is acid prepped, second is manually prepped.

02069CA7-51C8-443C-B319-33B27D6E4CD7.jpeg

F15163D9-02CD-4F0A-AA0D-CA3BC38C78EC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

All of the small one are beautiful.

Indeed they are and it’s anazing that baby Keichousaurus, with so delicate bones, are preserved so well.  Some are even newborns.