Kimi64

I went to Brownies for the first time last Saturday. It was beautiful as the water was completely blown out by the Nor'easter storm of the day before. There were trees down everywhere along the roads near the park. I didn't find much, just a few tiny teeth because of how the water was blown out. So I went back today and was thrilled to find one shark vertebra & two other vertebrae. One looks like it is from a fish. The third is unknown to me. Do you remember the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Harrison Ford gets into the fight with the guy with the sword & he blows him away with his gun? Well that is how I felt when I came across another fossil hunter & we chatted about our finds & I showed him my shark vertebra. I was so proud until he pulls out a whale vertebra as big as my hand!! I was dying inside, but I also had to laugh because I was so busted. If he is reading this right now, I was awed by your find. 

I went on to find some nice teeth, shells & two tiny Ecphora. 

IMG_20180310_222329.jpg

Looks like a lovely site to collect.  Having been on both sides of fossil envy, neither is all that comfortable... It is always best if everyone comes away completely satisfied. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That blow out tide last Saturday was a once in about 10 year event to the extreme that occurred. That is a great shark vert you found and welcome to Brownies.

Nice report, and vert! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your finds.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great job! I'd love to see some of the teeth you found too when you get around to posting more pics. The vert is beautiful. Better than any that I've found at Brownie's. I only find broken ones. :mellow: Anyway, talk about low tide! That's incredible! I had one day that was similar but not quite that low. How much time did you spend at the beach? I would've expected quite the haul in terms of quantity. So much beach exposed! Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

It looks like it was a good day at the beach. You got to bring home a few vertebrae and lots of interesting and enjoyable memories. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

2 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

Great job! I'd love to see some of the teeth you found too when you get around to posting more pics. The vert is beautiful. Better than any that I've found at Brownie's. I only find broken ones. :mellow: Anyway, talk about low tide! That's incredible! I had one day that was similar but not quite that low. How much time did you spend at the beach? I would've expected quite the haul in terms of quantity. So much beach exposed! Hoppe hunting!

I went the same day during the blowout but the tide still hadn't come in from lowtide on FRIDAY (and this is on a saturday afternoon so it's been a loong lowtide). So since the tide never came back and moved the sand around there were dozens of footprints from hunters from the day before and everything was taken

5 hours ago, Williamb55 said:

there were dozens of footprints from hunters from the day before and everything was taken

Oh that’s a shame. Good luck to both of you on your next hunts!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

The one weekend I can’t hunt, Tisk tisk. Well, I’ll just have to wait another ten years! Nice vert, I’m also interested in the sides, could help with a ID (a very general one of course).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived