Peat Burns

After prepping the big Stylemys that I recovered in Nebraska this summer, it seemed a shame to have spent all that time on the plastron only to have it sitting on a shelf out of view.  So today I welded together a stand for it.

Resized_20180310_165915.thumb.jpeg.c84e832424597b0dae070208c1b1b8b4.jpeg

I wanted the part upon which the tortoise rests to have as small a footprint as possible, because my idea was to use a mirror or mirrors to make the plastron visible to observers.  Of course the angle of the mirror will depend on the height of the shelf where the tortoise is displayed.  At just below eye level, this set up works reasonably well.

Resized_20180310_213327.thumb.jpeg.b14b42eb94760e68a1bcb19d5f5f79ec.jpeg

If positioned below eye-level, this set-up works well (showing even more of the plastron).

Resized_20180310_202345.thumb.jpeg.7995dd6f62f034814cff4b43b00d005b.jpeg

Is it set up basically like a set of parallel bars for gymnastics?

Whow, your first pic didn't appear till just now. I didn't realize how huge the shell was.

You can stick four wheels on it and call it a Volkswagen!

26 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Is it set up basically like a set of parallel bars for gymnastics?

Whow, your first pic didn't appear till just now. I didn't realize how huge the shell was.

You can stick four wheels on it and call it a Volkswagen!

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks nice either way.

Wonderful piece.

Thank you, ynot.  Caldigger, yes, just as you note, it is like parallel bars.  I'm not sure if it is the best design or not, but it was simple :D

Part of the problem is the extreme weight of the tortoise.  It definitely needed a heavy duty stand :)

"Sorry honey, your dining room table will have to go outside,  I need the room to display my tortoise".

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

"Sorry honey, your dining room table will have to go outside,  I need the room to display my tortoise".

:hearty-laugh:

"Sorry honey, we're going to be eating off the tortoise from now on."

Neat display idea. :) 

I suppose if you are forced to swap this one out for some other option, I could see some tinkering to create a slowly revolving spit of sorts, the shell held in place on each end by some rubber grips, all at a tension that will keep it in place without buckling. It could be set upright or left on a horizontal, manually rotated or powered by a small motor. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I like the below eye level way of showing off the "under carriage", but you would have to have the mirror stick out no further than the perimeter of the shell or risk it being stepped on.  If shorter, you likely won't get the full view of the belly section.

I propose mounting it on a giant spit rotisserie so it rotates showing all sides.:rofl:

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I like the below eye level way of showing off the "under carriage", but you would have to have the mirror stick out no further than the perimeter of the shell or risk it being stepped on.  If shorter, you likely won't get the full view of the belly section.

I propose mounting it on a giant spit rotisserie so it rotates showing all sides.:rofl:

Lol.  "Honey, you can have your dining room table back, but I will be commandeering your rotisserie cooker..."

20 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Lol.  "Honey, you can have your dining room table back, but I will be commandeering your rotisserie cooker..."

Or, you could mount it less anatomically correctly and have it sit anterior side up on a lazy susan. This would easily allow all sides (other than posterior) to be easily viewable with a simple rotation of the mount.

Archived