Pseudogygites

Hi TTF! Since I am now going to present my science fair at the Ontario regionals, I have decided to add a few new displays to it. Right now, I am working on a model of the Earth during the middle Ordovician, when Pseudogygites Lantimarginatus lived. I have searched the internet for pictures of the middle Ordovician Earth, but each one is slightly different. For example, the location a Siberia changes with almost every map. I assume this is just because the different maps were made during different eras or by different people. Does anyone on the forum know which is the most up to date image? There are some images of the globe as it is right now below.

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

You may be bumping up against some uncertainties. We can be reasonably certain about the general placement of the major landmasses, but the further back we go, the higher the uncertainty. There are many sections of the earth we no longer have even much record of due to subduction (for example, the ocean floor crust is likely not much older than 200 million years at most). 

Some geological changes are relatively rapid, and others are relatively slower. I like to picture it like trying to reconstruct a game of pool after a few rounds at the table with all the balls scattered. :D 

There is a lot to consider in measurement, and any map is always an approximation. The way it is done is complex, involving modelling the movement of the tectonic plates as they separate and rejoin, considering the distribution of flora and fauna in each geologic age via the fossil record (which is far from complete!), consideration of major climatological events that heat up or cool down the planet, and even measuring what the magnetic field was like in the past using iron-rich sediments that were deposited in a particular geologic age.

My advice is to keep looking at those maps, and find where there is approximate consensus.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Pseudogygites said:

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

You got the water part down pretty well!:rofl:

Wait, wasn't the earth flat at that time?!

5 hours ago, Pseudogygites said:

Right now, I am working on a model of the Earth during the middle Ordovician, when Pseudogygites Lantimarginatus lived. I have searched the internet for pictures of the middle Ordovician Earth, but each one is slightly different.   ...Does anyone on the forum know which is the most up to date image?

Pseudogygites is Upper Ordovician.  Ludvigsen 1979 assigned a Maysvillian-Richmondian age, but that has since been adjusted to Edenian-Maysvillian (Brett et al. 2006).

quote:

"Pseudogygites is a relatively short-lived taxon, endemic to Arctic Canada and eastern Laurentia in late Edenian-Maysvillian time (Ludvigsen, 1979b)."

Brett, C.E., Allison, P.A., Tsujita, C.J., Soldani, D., & Moffat, H.A. (2006)

Sedimentology, taphonomy, and paleoecology of meter-scale cycles from the Upper Ordovician of Ontario.

Palaios, 21(6):530-547

IMG.thumb.png.3b443512c124bb4aa276f660e7556194.png

Ogg, J.G., Ogg, G.M., & Gradstein, F.M. (2016)

A Concise Geologic Time Scale: 2016.

Elsevier Scientific Publishing, 234 pp.

IMG1.thumb.png.46b9e2c581193228bb0d6f499dac4de7.png

Torsvik, T.H., & Cocks, L.R.M. (2013)

New global palaeogeographical reconstructions for the Early Palaeozoic and their generation.

Geological Society London, Memoirs, 38(1):5-24   LINK

Ludvigsen, R. (1979)
The Ordovician trilobite Pseudogygites Kobayashi in eastern and Arctic North America.
Royal Ontario Museum - Life Sciences Contributions, 120:1-41   LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wait, wasn't the earth flat at that time?!

No, it did not become flat until the bronze age. And it became round again in the late renaissance.:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

No, it did not become flat until the bronze age. And it became round again in the late renaissance.:P

Oh thats right, you were there for that change over. I keep forgetting.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Well, some of the Ancient Greeks temporarily rounded it. :D 

1 minute ago, ynot said:

That is hearsay.

Did you mean "heresy"? 

latest?cb=20061026182657

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Did the greeks change that also?

Heh, they were troublemakers, the lot of 'em. Democracy, atomism, the works. :P 

Archived