A disappointing trip to Ohio? Let's reconsider

Eastonian

A few weeks ago I complained about a fossil trip that ended with few finds. But after washing the fossils and examining them closely, I actually had a few interesting specimens. The first are these trilobites -- tiny -- but trilobites, nonetheless. The trip was in Paulding, Ohio, Devonian silica shale. trilos.jpg.392f7edd2e9222a85be347b6cfb7466f.jpg

Now, don't you feel silly for complaining?:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Sure, I feel silly. Especially with this find of two specimens of Heteroschisma latum blastoids. 

heroschisma 2.JPG

heteroschisma 1.jpg

Well you have every reason to feel embarrassed!!! :blush:

You should be ashamed of yourself!

1 hour ago, Eastonian said:

Sure, I feel silly. Especially with this find of two specimens of Heteroschisma latum blastoids. 

heroschisma 2.JPG

heteroschisma 1.jpg

It's hard to have a bad day at Paulding :)  Nice finds!

The two that you have as blastoids look a bit more like rugose corals to me.  Let's see what others say.

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

The two that you have as blastoids look a bit more like rugose corals to me.  Let's see what others say.

I was going to say something about that, but it is a fuzzy picture and not being familiar with the area...

They didnt look like blastoids to me.

I definitely +1 on rugose. I think that they are very worn and are missing the theca and you are seeing the septa as those vertical striations. I’ve found several such pieces myself and they are pretty neat looking up close.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I agree, those are worn Horn corals, not Blastoids. Blastoids have 5 part symmetry and are not curved whereas the specimens you posted pics of appear to have a slight curve to them. 

This is a pic of a Heteroschisma from Crinus' website:  http://www.crinus.info/echinoderm/data/het.htm

And this is one that I found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2012/10/heteroschisma-canadensis-from-hungry.html

Maybe you are thinking of Heterophrentis sp. which is a rugose coral? 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived