Paciphacops

I found this tiny fossil yesterday in the upper Carter's limestone in Tennessee. (middle Ordovician). It is 7mm long and appears to be the glabela of a trilobite. I'm not sure there is more to it under the matrix, and it's not much to go on, but thought I would share it here and see if anyone has any clue what it may be. 

Thanks 

20180310_194850-1.jpg

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

A wild stab in the dark, but possibly the hypostome of a cheirurid like Ceraurus sp.? 

Your piece, flipped, compared to images from Moss, D. K. (2012). "Trilobite Faunas and Facies of the Upper Ordovician (Sandbian) Lebanon Limestone, Nashville Dome, Tennessee" (Masters Thesis, Uni. of Oklahoma).

[image cropped from a post @piranha had put up some while back: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56785-trilobite-in-tennessee/&tab=comments#comment-604248 ]

gabridorsal.jpeggabri2.jpeg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I didn't consider a hypostome, but I think you may be correct. I have found Ceraurus pleurexanthemus in these layers, and it is known from the Curdsville limestone, which is a little higher in the bluff. 

I also found this guy nearby. Appears to be complete, but the pygidium is displaced. 

20180204_131100-1.jpg

Definitely the pygidium on the right is a cheirurid, and likely the one on the left is also. I want to say Ceraurus pleurexanthemus judging by the shape of the pygidial "fork," but I'm not as confident identifying cheirurids. :P It looks like you might be able to prep this out a bit more.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

It looks like you might be able to prep this out a bit more.

I tried to gently pry off the rectangular bit of rock over the upper area, and the entire thorax popped off with it!  :doh!: 

I could see the perfect outline of the cephalon disappearing into the matrix, so I think it's complete. Luckily the chip fit back snuggly, so a little superglue seems to have fixed it. Definitely needs some proper preparation. 

Archived