Is this a good idea?

Bone guy

Hi all. First off it's a dream of mine to one day have a skull from a xiphactinus audax. I have here a xiphactinus skull, but as you can see it is heavily disarticulated. Would it be a bad or good idea to try and have this skull professionally restored?

IMG_0781.PNG

A Cretaceous jigsaw puzzle. I would be afraid I'd break it.  Hopefully all the parts are there if that's what you decide to do.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

You forgot the adjective "very" in front of fragile. Let's see what others views in this are.

Hey @Ptychodus04 !!!

Thanks for the tag @caldigger. @Bone guy, that is a beautiful piece as it currently is. It is possible to have the bones removed from the matrix and mounted. It would be quite an undertaking.

Is it worth doing? That’s a very subjective question. If you think so, then yes it is worth it. Personally, I would leave as is and enjoy the Picasso-ish feel to it. Save your $$ and buy an articulated skull eventually.

That being said, if you want to explore restoration further, feel free to send me a PM.

Since you are saying having it prepped professionally, then yes, I think it would definitely be worth it. It looks quite nice like it is. But a reconstructed skull could be even nicer. And having the bones out of the matrix can also make the piece more informative in terms of anatomy as more of the animal is visible. If you decide on taking it out of the matrix, be sure to take lots of photos before that happens so you have a record of how it looked. In fact, you could go even further and use photogrammetry to make a scan so you have a digital version of the fossil as it is now forever.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I would clean the area around the teeth and fully expose any that have matrix around them.  I think other than that it looks great and would not touch it.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I think I'm going to pass on this one....it feels like the objective of restoration is a huge gamble so I would rather save for an already articulated skull.