snolly50

University course - marine reptiles

DevonianDigger

I took all of the MOOCs offered through U of A pertaining to paleontology, and if you haven't taken them yet, I strongly recommend it. They are very informative and a great way to learn some new info!

WhodamanHD

I just finished the early vertebrate one last weekend and it was great! I certainly recommend it and I will take quite a few more from U of A! So well put together even a highschool freshman can understand it:P

oldtimer

Thanks for the post.  I am taking the Dino 101 currently and it is a great class and format.

snolly50
22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I am taking the Dino 101 currently and it is a great class and format.

I'm glad you are enjoying that course. I thought it was well worth the time. I was entertained and learned a few things - a great combination.

The other course cited above is very good so far. I will be "finished" before it officially opens; but will probably stick around to benefit from the discussion board.

oldtimer

Yeah I read well ahead and took the tests and then saw there were video presentations too.  I went back a watched them too, Very well done.

WhodamanHD
56 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I'm glad you are enjoying that course. I thought it was well worth the time. I was entertained and learned a few things - a great combination.

The other course cited above is very good so far. I will be "finished" before it officially opens; but will probably stick around to benefit from the discussion board.

I just joined the marine reptile one, perhaps I’ll see you on the boards:D

snolly50
29 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

perhaps I’ll see you on the boards:D

I would always welcome contact with any person with the perspicacity to quote Douglas Adams. 

WhodamanHD
On 3/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, snolly50 said:

I would always welcome contact with any person with the perspicacity to quote Douglas Adams. 

Thank you, in my opinion the best books of fiction ever written are his! 

snolly50
12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thank you, in my opinion the best books of fiction ever written are his! 

There is little doubt that Adam's works of fiction are great reads. If you are not familiar with his writing venture into natural history, I strongly recommend it. You will still benefit from his humor; but also be exposed to his insight as to the precarious situation of our Earth. The quote closing my Forum posts is from that work. It is the 1990 book, Last Chance to See. I recommend it without hesitation. 

If that volume proves to be of interest to you, I will offer another wonderful, but entirely serious work for consideration. The author is a fabulous writer and his skill paired with the gravity of the topic, make for an arresting read. David Quammen's 1996 book, The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction.

After our post exchange on Adams I went to the book cases in my study to locate the Last Chance book. I wished to check the publication date. My books are shelved with no particular system, so it is an effort to quickly put my hand on any given text. However, yesterday the Adam's book was the first spine that my eye fell upon. I retrieved it and spent a few minutes idly thumbing through - stopping to briefly read, when I spotted a familiar, clever passage. Thanks.

jpc

these two books snolly mentions are classics in my mind.  

WhodamanHD
5 hours ago, snolly50 said:

There is little doubt that Adam's works of fiction are great reads. If you are not familiar with his writing venture into natural history, I strongly recommend it. You will still benefit from his humor; but also be exposed to his insight as to the precarious situation of our Earth. The quote closing my Forum posts is from that work. It is the 1990 book, Last Chance to See. I recommend it without hesitation. 

I have heard of it, and heard good things, I plan to read it someday soon! I also need to get to reading the rest of The Long Dark Time of the Soul. I love his style, and of course the humor and cleverness he writes with. I’ll look into The Song Of the Dodo as well, island biogeography (and its products) are very interesting to me. Thank you for bringing it up!