AcadianofNS

Found two pieces of stone this weekend.. would like to know the timeframe and what they are ... if anything other than twigs.

Found in Cape Jack, Nova Scotia

A Beach on St George's Bay.

20180311_201355.jpg

Interesting whatever they might be. I like the way the long brownish one near the bottom of the plate fades in and out of the rock.

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Interesting whatever they might be. I like the way the long brownish one near the bottom of the plate fades in and out of the rock.

That's my favourite part of that rock too.. also the one that looks like a leaf shape. 

You are in an area where this is most likely Carboniferous plant material. The larger piece looks to be from the cortex of a lycopod, although flattened calamites is also possible. The strap like 'leaf' could be from a Cordiates.

what Rockwood said, also reminds me of Triassic plant frags but no good if mapped carboniferous

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

You are in an area where this is most likely Carboniferous plant material. The larger piece looks to be from the cortex of a lycopod, although flattened calamites is also possible. The strap like 'leaf' could be from a Cordiates.

2 hours ago, Plax said:

what Rockwood said, also reminds me of Triassic plant frags but no good if mapped carboniferous

Thanks guys, can't wait to find more to show. 

2 hours ago, Plax said:

Color blind here.

I usually avoid maps, and the area does have Mesozoic rocks so this should be investigated.

If you can find anything that could be a clam I believe it would tend to indicate the earlier date.

22 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Color blind here.

I usually avoid maps, and the area does have Mesozoic rocks so this should be investigated.

If you can find anything that could be a clam I believe it would tend to indicate the earlier date.

"If I could find anything that could be a clam" ? Can you elaborate on this? 

1 hour ago, AcadianofNS said:

"If I could find anything that could be a clam" ? Can you elaborate on this? 

Sure. A picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_4224a.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Sure. A picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_4224a.jpg

"Silurian age rock outcrops in the Arisaig area are one of the best in the world"

Arisaig beach only 30 mins shoreline from this beach. I'll see what I can find. 

This was found on Arisaig beach: 

9218244482_4d181caa25_b.jpg

The original post is not Silurian. The rock must not be from the same source as most of the beach fossils.  

Edit: I am assuming that these are larger than paper match stick scale items. 

The chunk of rock on the left: the darker part definitely looks like fossilized plant material. Similar to petrified tree wood, but I don’t think it is tree wood. It looks very similar to some of the fossilized palm that I find in the North Sulfur River here in Texas. Palms and tree ferns are not composed of “wood” as wood is defined as “The secondary xylem of trees and shrubs, lying beneath the bark and consisting largely of cellulose and lignin.”  Taken from my Farlex dictionary. As such, tree wood has the rings seen in cross sections, but ferns and palms don’t have typical rings. Tree ferns trunks are modified rhizomes and what we would call the bark on their trunks is actually a root mantle, if I’m not mistaken.

I’m not sure about the lighter gray rock around it. That could be fossilized root mantle or it could be a concretion that formed around the woody material. I’m not familiar with fossils from your area though.

May we have a pic from the end of the rock, which would be the truck cross section and something for scale?

The other rock, it is hard to tell what they are. I have found similar things in shale/clay like material from the Austin Chalk, Cretaceous period here in Texas in a marine environment.

Here are 2 pics of 4 examples. It is a repeating pattern, which I have seen many times that cannot be mere coincidence. I wish I knew what they were. Yours have some similarities. There is the oval leaf shape in juxtaposition with a straight stem shape, but these were all found in proximity to Inoceramus clams.

85D5F2E7-E5A2-45A9-8074-8C941C406AFC.thumb.jpeg.c768c5853e64b70b1ba7866c0befc3e3.jpeg16106ACC-7915-4FB8-A6A7-F1095040A9CB.thumb.jpeg.c09ab891429216ac97963dcda240180a.jpeg

Sorry mine have no scale, but the largest oval is about 4 cm long. The smaller ovals are maybe 2 cm long. 

I never found a whole Inoceramus clam in the area, but the largest fragment of clam was 10 inches (25 cm). So the whole could easily have been 40-50 cm. I give that info in case my shapes in shale/clay are proportional to the clam size.

Cape Jack is mapped as carboniferous so we are looking at a coal aged plant assemblage. this is in reply to the initial inquiry.

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Cape Jack is mapped as carboniferous so we are looking at a coal aged plant assemblage. this is in reply to the initial inquiry.

I've got a few pieces of Stigmaria imprint on same beach so makes sense. 

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

May we have a pic from the end of the rock, which would be the truck cross section

Not really a cross section it's only on the face of the rock.. the rest just looks like normal river rock. 

Archived