Mazon Creek ID

Runner64

Hi there had a successful outing at Mazon Creek today! Came back home with a 5 gallon bucket full of nodules. Made it a long walk back to the car though! :) Was hoping to get some insight on some of the preopened nodules and the ones that crack open in the future.

1.)

F85FF386-A9CE-45AC-9D06-6940F1C8155A.thumb.jpeg.76971feba78f100a5e52cefea7377cf9.jpeg

2.)

2B515DCB-C11F-44BC-87A0-B73526E01B41.thumb.jpeg.ff0bf80399c1567b9f06b56896cbae26.jpeg

Sorry if pictures are poor quality, I tried my best. Please let me know if better ones are needed :).

Is your term "preformed" meaning already split open?  

Can't help with Id's, but it doesn't look like #2 broke cleanly and thus may be hiding what is under the stone.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Is your term "preformed" meaning already split open?  

Can't help with Id's, but it doesn't look like #2 broke cleanly and thus may be hiding what is under the stone.

Caught a spelling error thank you! Meant preopened. Might try breaking #2 again then.

16 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

That’s neat! I’ve got one plant in a nodule from there. What other kinds of neat stuff pop up? I’ve never really explored them at all.

Hi there, I haven’t found much and am very poor at identifying these fossils. The hunt is why I do it though. Nothing beats finding a nice, big, intact nodule sticking out of the ground.

A few fossils I’ve found are some jellyfish, a piece of a tully monster, and parts of some plants including the common fern species. However there’s a wide variety of what can be found!

ACD9BC78-6BCB-4E47-9D76-3A796F4289CF.thumb.jpeg.e56daa20c60ad682edef475b3ba389ad.jpeg

here’s one that popped open that looks like it could have something in it. I’ve tried cleaning it but can’t seem to do the job. Any suggestions?

still looking for an ID on the first one

Your first concretion half looks like a piece of coprolite. I am not seeing anything in the second concretion and in regards to your last concretion, soak it in white vinegar for a while and then use a toothbrush and water- that should help.

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/16/2018 at 12:45 AM, Nimravis said:

Your first concretion half looks like a piece of coprolite. I am not seeing anything in the second concretion and in regards to your last concretion, soak it in white vinegar for a while and then use a toothbrush and water- that should help.

Thanks for the help! One other one that caught my attention is this one:

0A779C2B-4736-4DD5-AEBB-1E61D843E92C.thumb.jpeg.0f3fc40c6c290173fdff805f8b8a3c43.jpeg

mostly because of the lines coming out from the middle of the nodule half.

Hard to say for the above one.

May be Sphenophyllum ?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 3/19/2018 at 11:51 PM, abyssunder said:

Hard to say for the above one.

May be Sphenophyllum ?

Hmm interesting thanks! What makes you think that?

4 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Hmm interesting thanks! What makes you think that?

" mostly because of the lines coming out from the middle of the nodule half " :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library