So, I snapped my ivory piece in half, what do you guys recommend for fixing it?

Cthulhu2

I've been collecting fossils for a while now and it finally happened, I broke one of my finds. Repair and restoration is a part of paleontology that I have no experience and could use some help! What products do you guys recommend? 

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Do both parts fit together exactly or did you lose any, leaving gaps?

They come together with very little gaps. 

How big is this piece? Are going to need to great some bracing contraption or is it manageable as a small project.  Pictures will help with assessment.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

How big is this piece? Are going to need to great some bracing contraption or is it manageable as a small project.  Pictures will help with assessment.

It's just a 4 in liece, nothing crazy!

Preferably I would use a thick solution of Butvar B-76 to bond it, but superglue will work too.

I agree with these guys about the superglue but if you do not hit it just right you may need to "re-break" it to fit it correctly.

Using some modeling clay to situate your specimen in a "fixed" position will give it a stable hold so your "fix" will be as good as it can be.

The use of a water soluble glue such as "wood" glue is slower but has NEVER failed me.

I even use it for a stabilizer. Thinned down and allowed to dry makes for a more stable specimen but can leave a "Sheen" that could be un-desirable.

I use it to stabilize pyrite on occasion and some of my pyrite ammonites, out of the Del Rio formation, I have had over 30 years.

I have even used it to stabilize ivory as well. Mastodon skull, donated to a Grand Prairie Tex High school, had this concoction used on the ivory or what was left of it.

Later, while the school kids excavated it, it was further stabilized with a substance used to stabilize dry rot wood.

Archived