Peat Burns

Wow.  Nice finds. :envy:

I'll take those 93 deg temps here in Mich... :)

Fruitbat

Yeow!  93oF???  I was here all day and I don't remember it getting THAT warm!  The temperature sensor must either be pretty close to the ground or (if it is in your car) you must have been parked on asphalt or something!  At any rate...it looks like you had a great hunt!

-Joe

ynot

Nice report Kim.

Glad You did not get heat stroke! (and found some nice fossils too!)

Wrangellian

Always a pleasure to fossick vicariously thru other members, but not when it includes close brushes with death! Hope it was only a bit of dehydration or heat stroke and not your age or something worse. I've been out when it's too hot to move and wondered if I had brought enough water - luckily have not fainted yet. 50 seems too young to be noticing things like that. My parents (69 and 75) complain about the hot summer days, but only started doing so in the last few 10 years at most.

Nice echs. Would like to see a whole shot of that ammo.

Ludwigia

As usual, a great detailed report. Thanks, Kim! Good thing you didn't get called into work. I really enjoy your chatting style and feel I am getting to know you better each time you post something. I'm happy for you in seeing that you followed your nose rightly. Perseverance pays off. I assume you recovered fully and quickly from your symptoms? Funyuns sound like the best medicine.

Bobby Rico

Great report, photos and finds Kim . I don’t know what Funyuns are but it sound like you deserved a bag of them. Good work.

Coco

Hi,

Good report ! Can't wait to see your cleaned sea urchins ! ;)

Coco

Kane

Apart from blackouts and dehydration, looked like a prosperous trip. If you can spare a few degrees, send them up north. :D 

RJB

Looks like a nice little fun trip.  Always nice to bring back some fossil goodies.

RB

caldigger
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Apart from blackouts and dehydration, looked like a prosperous trip. If you can spare a few degrees, send them up north. :D 

I can just see it now, Kane getting a package from Texas. He is all excited until he opens it up and it's just a jar filled with Texas hot air. :blink:

Fruitbat

And he's welcome TO it! We have PLENTY of it! Everybody knows that Texans are full of hot air (pun intended)! :ighappy:

-Joe

Uncle Siphuncle

I liked the shark teeth most, as they aren’t all that common in the Lower K of TX, and the colors are different than the normal Kef stuff.

Heteromorph

Great finds! Your writing style, as already noted, is always welcoming and personal. We get to know you and your fossils better with each report. Thanks for sharing.

KimTexan
10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Hope it was only a bit of dehydration or heat stroke and not your age or something worse. I've been out when it's too hot to move and wondered if I had brought enough water - luckily have not fainted yet. 50 seems too young to be noticing things like that. My parents (69 and 75) complain about the hot summer days, but only started doing so in the last few 10 years at most.

Nice echs. Would like to see a whole shot of that ammo.

I guess it wasn’t totally the heat. I found out I have an infection where the sutures were still in place from the surgery I had 16 days ago. The dentist put me on another round of antibiotics. 

The surgery didn’t slow me down at all. I even went fossil hunting the day after the surgery and didn’t have any problems at all. I’ve felt fine the whole time, until Saturday. 

I was dumb enough to go fossil hunting yesterday in the NSR after working on call half of Saturday night. I didn’t realize I had the infection still or at least didn’t think it was that bad until this morning I nearly passed out while getting ready for work.

I’ll get you the pic of the ammonite in a bit. It’s a little one, but decent. 

KimTexan
2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I liked the shark teeth most, as they aren’t all that common in the Lower K of TX, and the colors are different than the normal Kef stuff.

Do you know what genus the shark teeth come from? I was thinking the one on the right looks a little like a Cretolamna I have, but not quite. To be honest I’ve only found one other shark tooth ever and I know next to nothing about them. For some reason I must not have the eye for vertebrate fossils.

When I saw the first one I thought it was a sliver of brown glass, but there wasn’t any trash to speak of out there.

If I’d been standing upright I don’t think I would have ever seen either of them.

As far as the formation, I’m going off of what my Rockd app told me. Within a mile or so of the place is Kiamichi, but I think Kiamichi is mostly a dark clay. Then the Goodlands isn’t too far away either. It looked like Duck Creek to me, but I’m still learning my formations.

JustPlainPetrified

Really nice finds! Too bad for getting dehydrated. Every 20 mins whether you feel like it or not you have to drink...but you probably knew that. Fun area to go back to.

KimTexan

Ok here is a shot of all the echinoids, but 2. One of the missing ones was still in my bag and the other was only about 1.5 cm and went through a processing step, via my jean’s pocket and the washing machine.:headscratch:

The ruler is in inches. There is also a partial Neithea and a couple oysters on the top left corner. I just picked them up as representatives of the fauna in the area. 

64A9DE04-9AE4-432C-A0D7-9CC787CEFC97.thumb.jpeg.9f179b4197b76d6f4cc3de0d640ae76a.jpeg

Here is the little ammonite that was in the in situ pic. The other side is covered in matrix. There is an oyster attached to the top right.

3CE58645-BC3E-4769-A2FF-5FB28AE327D9.thumb.jpeg.cc09f21a4b8a0caf9934c6863c159364.jpeg

This is another that is fairly worn down, but the other side is covered in matrix, but from what I can tell looks pretty good.

78069E04-8AA7-462E-86EE-C78760D01A18.thumb.jpeg.cbcf21a6de579023641202fa688499b2.jpeg

This is another one that it looks like the bulldozer must have gotten.

851C3E69-0F45-42C9-A4F4-E9B0C0F5CE1E.thumb.jpeg.e1f52911347565d9288acd3bb4123e70.jpeg

The other side. A little worn, but may have some potential under the matrix. It will be good practice for processing.

E31D0890-639F-4290-B479-F8CBCC0B1187.thumb.jpeg.341fb910c5a438389091ee0ada7b851a.jpeg

This is the end of an ammonite fragment, but it has this curious little inclusion that looks like it could be a nice tiny ammonite. I want to try to chip it out.3F3D7EDE-2083-45D0-A263-E7A37C69B2A1.thumb.jpeg.610e2361b933a36324996e20a8326d81.jpeg

KimTexan
8 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Good report ! Can't wait to see your cleaned sea urchins ! ;)

Coco

I’m not sure how to prep them. The tests are not intact on any of them and they are all pretty fragile. It is strange to me. Most other areas I have collected in, with the exception of the Goodlands, the tests have been very stable. These just flake away. I can clean them a little, but it will be tedious trying to not damage the tests further.

KimTexan
9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great report, photos and finds Kim . I don’t know what Funyuns are but it sound like you deserved a bag of them. Good work.

Thanks.

They are a totally unhealthy junk food. They  claim to be onion flavored, but it is so mild I’m not sure anyone could identify it as onion. The closest comparison I can think of is the sour cream and chives flavor. You can’t exactly identify the chives outright. These don’t have sour cream in the flavor mix, but they’re pretty tasty.

07F849EA-3360-414C-A637-2AB094276C06.jpeg.e3ed28650ec3d004cdd7cd2f16868e0a.jpeg

I think the rings in the pic are false advertisement. When I opened the bag I didn’t see a single ring, only pieces. I’m sure the bag got crushed at some point. Later I realized I’d opened the bag upside down, but still there must have been 5 whole rings in the whole bag. That’s chips for you.

So if you call potato fries chips in the UK, what do you call potato chips? Chips?

Uncle Siphuncle

Do you know what formation u were in?  Weno is infamous for booby trapped, exploding tests, but any fm will give up abused echs if they were shallow under the surface, being leached by wet/dry shrink/swell ground water cycles for millenia, and the belly scraper didn’t cut deep during construction grading.

FranzBernhard

"When I look at these pics some of them have this optical illusion quality. It looks like there are a bunch of holes in the ground. If that is what you see go to the pic above, focus on the small rocks and come back to this one and refocus. There aren’t any holes in the ground. They’re all rocks sitting on top of the ground. It’s the weirdest thing. They’re my own pics, but I keep seeing the inverse picture so they look like depressions in the ground rather than stones on top of the ground."

Just turn the picture around!

Franz Bernhard

Bobby Rico
43 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

So if you call potato fries chips in the UK, what do you call potato chips? Chips?

Oh now I know, we call them onion rings but the just onion flavour. Potato chips are called potato crisps . Monster munch is my favourite.

You have  found some lovely ammonites recently all big ones too.   :wub: 

DD4F9128-4FD5-44C7-A86E-7F1148DD73A4.jpeg

KimTexan
39 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Do you know what formation u were in?  Weno is infamous for booby trapped, exploding tests, but any fm will give up abused echs if they were shallow under the surface, being leached by wet/dry shrink/swell ground water cycles for millenia, and the belly scraper didn’t cut deep during construction grading.

I’m pretty sure I was in the Duck Creek. Ft. Worth Limestone and Duck Creek,  Kfd Washita group by the USGS map. I’m not sure what the Weno looks like. To my knowledge I’ve never hunted in it, but I’m still learning my formations.

I did look at Lance Hall’s Page on the Duck Creek and the fauna fit, along with the brown shark teeth.

Monica

Nice haul of urchins!!!  :wub::dinothumb: