A Cambrian favorite of mine - Zacanthoides grabaui

fossilcrazy

In 2005, I was in the Wellsville mountains of Utah looking for Trilobites. I really wanted a Zacanthoides grabaui but would have settled for any bug. This particular Trilobite seems so sleek and streamlined that I loved its design. If I can't own one, I can at least draw one for myself. Done on textured paper with 2B and 4B pencils.

P1010004.JPG

Zacanthoides for Print.JPG

Yes, very cool scientific illustration.  I like the stiple work.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Very classy!

You draw nice trilobites.

Have You done an in life drawing?

I'm not sure what an "in life drawing is", but I did do an Ediacaran scene just showing some metazoans. 

EdiacaraHalfSize.jpg

GardenOfEdiacara.JPG

1 minute ago, fossilcrazy said:

I'm not sure what an "in life drawing is", but I did do an Ediacaran scene just showing some metazoans. 

Yeah, I could not think of the right terminology for it. (I meant a drawing of it in the ecosystem where it lived kinda thing.)

Like Your Ediacaran scene.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You really should be doing text book illustrations. :)

Thanks for the compliment, but I have no desire to do commercial work (deadlines, other peoples ideas, customer relations, etc.) I'm happy just to be a freelance fun sketcher. 

I like the Ediacaran scene too.

I may have mentioned it before, but as soon as you post a good-enough resolution pic of your excellent work online, I would assume it is soon to be used by somebody somewhere. I guess you know this. I would at least add my signature or initials in the corner if I were you!

Hi Wrangellian,  Thanks for the tip. Someone wants to use my pictures for their own use, I don't care. I don't think the commercial value would be worth even covering thief of protected rights. It happens rampantly on the internet. Maybe there would be flattery value.  

If you were to put together a series of drawings like those of WNY trilobites, I would love to help put it together and self-publish it. I've wanted to do a field guide for some time. (We can sell it at the PD gift shop :P )

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Archived