Giant Nautiloid!

Crann

Hi guys/gals, found this huge Nautilus this Saturday, still unprepped and I'm still in a bit of shock, once prepped I think it will be unreal... thanks, Alan.

IMG_20180311_192711_428.jpg

That is spectacular! Was that a 'stumble upon'? or did you have an idea it was in the prospecting area? Really nice.

That’s a HOSS!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I didn't realize coiled nautiloids got so big. Amazing find!!!! Congratulations. Love to see the prepped results.

And I shall join the joyous chorus with a really big, loud, you did it brudda!

I dont know Alan, I'd be careful. I think I've seen that thing come alive in a Sci-fi movie before. It's a real monster I know you'll do it justice.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

HOLY......

Found an XL, huh?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Ha, I didn't realise the mods had started this ? It came out of the cliffs as I was down hunting, wasn't there when I passed first time, on way back it was there, biggest I've seen, nothing like it on the net, I chipped a small piece off to see what it was like underneath and a section came off, I'm not touching it again, it is going for professional prep, could be one of the biggest ever discovered... I found a 1ft skull the same day too...

Wow...

Did you coat it with something? Looks wet.

What are you going to have the preparator do? To my inexperienced eye it doesn't look like there is anything to remove from the outside... maybe some from the umbilicus I guess.

What do you mean by "didn't realize the mods had started this"?

Just now, Wrangellian said:

Wow...

Did you coat it with something? Looks wet.

What are you going to have the preparator do? To my inexperienced eye it doesn't look like there is anything to remove from the outside... maybe some from the umbilicus I guess.

What do you mean by "didn't realize the mods had started this"?

I posted it in the march find of the month prematurely and had it removed, didn't realise it had been moved, centre will be prepped out and the other side too, needs a small section gluing back on and prepped out then slightly polished to bring out the colours, yep it was wet in the photo, thanks. Alan.