Horse Ancestor Teeth

sloth

Hi All,

I've found 2 horse teeth in Hillsborough county, Florida that seem to be too small to be equus. The first one is badly damaged but I'm thinking it's a merrychippus species, the second I think is a nannippus species. Any help on identifying them would be greatly appreciated as well as any tips on better ways to ID them than staring at dozens of sketches of horse teeth.

miohorse2.jpg

nannippusmolar (1 of 1).jpg

The second dark tooth looks like one of the many species of hipparion horses common during the Pliocene era. The other tooth, though very worn, looks like an earlier species, maybe parahippus of the early Miocene.

I have little time to respond, going to a ballgame.

Search the TFF threads for the word "protocone".  Lots of info there.  You can send your teeth or photos to Richard Hulbert at University of Florida fossil identification service.

I will respond tonight.. Get length, width, height measurements for both teeth,

image.png.7d84325bc7842d3b800c7de556a4c459.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This is Nannippus peninsulatus, one of the most common pliocene horses in Florida.  It seems similar to your 2nd photo. Nannippus.jpg.c1ff34a0c440c9badd44741a0732ff15.jpg

This is Calippus Elachistus, an earlier horse also found in Florida. It has some similarities to your 1st tooth.

Calippus.jpg.513521431d1b0b4ff7188b578d3f18af.jpg

It is almost impossible to identify with certainty from a single tooth. You could search the internet for these two species to see if your tooth matches one or both.  Else you can send photos to Richard Hulbert.

Nice finds,  I love these small horse teeth.  I will be pleased to see your future finds.  Thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 3/13/2018 at 10:23 PM, Shellseeker said:

This is Nannippus peninsulatus, one of the most common pliocene horses in Florida.  It seems similar to your 2nd photo. Nannippus.jpg.c1ff34a0c440c9badd44741a0732ff15.jpg

This is Calippus Elachistus, an earlier horse also found in Florida. It has some similarities to your 1st tooth.

Calippus.jpg.513521431d1b0b4ff7188b578d3f18af.jpg

It is almost impossible to identify with certainty from a single tooth. You could search the internet for these two species to see if your tooth matches one or both.  Else you can send photos to Richard Hulbert.

Nice finds,  I love these small horse teeth.  I will be pleased to see your future finds.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much! Yeah I love them too, there's nothing cooler than a tiny horse