encrinus

www.fossilcrinoids.com - a virtual museum of crinoids in earth history

encrinus

My crinoid collection on the web was updated and expanded by many background informations. So enjoy it, if you like that stuff:

http://www.fossilcrinoids.com/gallery.html

Any additional informations or publications to the described classic crinoid sites for upload are appreciated - please give me notice.

Please feel also free to contact me in case you like to offer crinoids, that I am (most) missing in my collection (see "Bid") - thanks!

Kane

Topic moved to Members Websites.

encrinus

Thanks, Kane!

What I forgot to mention: Don`t worry about the .com.

The site is for collector`s fun and scientific, not commercial purpose.

Ludwigia

Great collection! Just a slight correction: You spelled creataceous wrong.

DevonianDigger

Very exquisite examples! Thank you for sharing!

encrinus

Ups, I will correct that - thanks Roger,

and greetings to the Bodensee (I was born in Ravensburg :-)

Chris

Any correction or hint for improvement is welcome!

Wrangellian

Impressive collection! Is that what happens when you focus your interest (and money) in one specific area?  :blush:

encrinus

Nice comment, Wrangellian, thanks.

Collecting fossils is an obsession, I was attacked at least since I am 13 years old. From that time dates a answer from Tuebingen University, Martin Meschede, giving helpful information about at that time upcoming decision about "ideal" school subjects for an intended carrier as palaeontologist :-) Starting palaeontology in Tuebingen 7 years later in 1987, I was affected by the crinoid virus from Prof. Dolf Seilacher...Realizing, I would nerver be successful as him, decided to continue paleontology as a hobby. Ever since I "compensate" not following my profession dream by adding fine crinoids to my collection, what is still growing very slowly. As you mentioned correctly, only a minority was found by myself. However prep work of most Bundenbach pieces and others was done by me.

Collecting fossil crinoid is still a vast field, I am scratching at the surface.

I am aware, that showing one`s collection is a fine line between between swaggering and parting joy with others. Even if it is not as far as impressive and of scientific value as others, as for example from crinus-Joe, I might appease anyone, that collecting was and is a matter of tears and blood...

;)

Phevo

That must be the most impressive crinoid collection I have ever seen, very nicely setup based on the periods too.

If you want some disarticulated stems from the Danien period, found in Denmark i can send you some, I have 3-4 different types.

Compared to your other specimens they are highly underwhelming, but that is how they are found up here :P

Here is a picture so you don't have too high expectations, I also have some in matrix, but still nothing to write home about

28907152_10155304359282694_1270145729_n.jpg?oh=5fcb494d61115c70608d1a64c841b8ca&oe=5AADBEA4

encrinus

Glad, you like it Phevo, even though the Cretaceaus of Denmark is not represented.

Many thanks for your friendly offer, excellent stems! I found them myself on one of many trips to beautiful Denmark. Some nice findings are not posted.

Actually there is a chance to find complete specimens in the chalk, like shown by examples from Britain:

http://www.chalk.discoveringfossils.co.uk/3isocrinids.htm

Such rarities, however, should find their place in a "real" museum...

Phevo

That is some very impressive specimens in chalk, I haven't seen anything like it come out of Denmark yet, the nicest crown I have seen from here was actually preserved as an imprint in flint, and a few nice holdfasts have been found in chalk from stevns klint.

crinus
On 3/16/2018 at 6:36 AM, encrinus said:

I am aware, that showing one`s collection is a fine line between between swaggering and parting joy with others. Even if it is not as far as impressive and of scientific value as others, as for example from crinus-Joe, I might appease anyone, that collecting was and is a matter of tears and blood...

;)

Thanks for the comment regarding my "impressive" crinoid collection.  I will be contacting you via email regarding a number of corrections on your web page.  The crinoids are VERY impressive but you do have a few errors that need correction.

Joe

encrinus

Many thanks in advance Joe, I really appreciate your help!

Hopefully it is not again Arkona shale, I was already staggering in the past. .

^_^