North texas lake

Kayak christian

Our trips all start out as a kayak fishing adventure. We usually end up pulling ashore for a little while and exploring. On this trip we found a lot of these fossil clams. Very cool. I dont know much about them just thought i would share.

20180313_054428.jpg

Always enjoy the combination of fishing and fossils!!!! Looks like you had an enjoyable day.

Any idea as to the deposit you are looking in?

Your specimens look like a specie of Bivalve found in the woodbine.

Nice catfish she got there. Wish my wife would enjoy fishing as much as I do.

Jess B

Ray Roberts Lake lies a few miles north of Denton Texas. It lies within the outcrop of the Woodbine Formation, Mainstreet Limestone, Grayson Marl, and Denton Clay. Go see North Texas Fossils at http://www.northtexasfossils.com/geologydenton.htm .  

I always bring a little fly rod as I hit the creeks. Love the combination of fishing and fossils.

4A87EBA6-961E-41ED-B5B4-2F820A1D3754.jpeg

CBE3D06A-D7CF-45A7-8314-7EE86EB3D212.jpeg

Attractive voracious fish, which invaded our rivers. In France we don't have the right to move it alive, it is an invader.

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

Attractive voracious fish, which invaded our rivers. In France we don't have the right to move it alive, it is an invader.

Really??? That's surprising to hear for a lowly Sunfish

15 minutes ago, -AnThOnY- said:

Really??? That's surprising to hear for a lowly Sunfish

A similar looking sunfish has invaded most streams here in North Carolina- the green sunfish Lepomis cyanellus. It is native to the Mississippi River drainage basin.

Hi,

I speak about Lepomis gibbosus but perhaps I have done a mistake, is it really the same fish ?

Blatant example of the need to use the Latin names because the vernacular ones change according to countries or even regions !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That is why us country boys use the term "panfish".  I hope that a pan was involved?

22 hours ago, Al Dente said:

A similar looking sunfish has invaded most streams here in North Carolina- the green sunfish Lepomis cyanellus. It is native to the Mississippi River drainage basin.

Called a Long ear sunfish in these parts and are native to Texas. Lepomis megalotis. The vert in the picture however is from Xyphactinus and the jaw with the other fish mosasaur found in the spot I caught the fish.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Out here We call them "blue gills", but it may be a different species.

One of many species of “blue gills”. I love to fly fish for pan fish on the small creeks I hunt.

Bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseeds, longears... they're all great fun to catch.

@Coco they're good eating, although you need a fair few to make a meal. But the good thing about them being invasive is there is no size or bag limit so ya take em all!

Guys, you know when you see the small creeks or pools and you can see the panfish in them? Go to Walmart and grab a couple of "bitsy minnows" in the lure section. I bought like 15 to bring home to Aus for our native grunters. They work a treat on the sunnies and it was very enjoyable.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Archived