Tiny Oddity

Hipockets

I have this echinolampas appendiculata from the eocene , Castle Hayne Form., of North Carolina that has a strange tiny ( 4 mm dia.) critter riding along. It has tubercles like an echinoid, but in some ways looks like a barnacle  or maybe sponge ? Any ideas ?  Thanks 

20180313165755.jpg

20180313165730.jpg

20180313165642.jpg

20180313165426.jpg

20180313165613.jpg

It’s a bryozoan but unfortunately I don’t remember the name and all my references are packed up in boxes (new carpeting being installed). It is a common one and is in the NC Fossil Club volume one publication. I can give you a name tomorrow.

• I found this Informative 2

Our fossil club book identifies this as Disporella sp. Here's a photo from the book (North Carolina Fossil Club Fossil Invertebrates and Plants volume 1) and one from the internet of a modern species.

disporella.JPG

disporella2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

so are the other round things on the test spots where bryozoan are broken off? Have seen lots of those which I thought were oyster spat but never noticed the bryozoan. You're good Al!

15 minutes ago, Plax said:

so are the other round things on the test spots where bryozoan are broken off? Have seen lots of those which I thought were oyster spat but never noticed the bryozoan. You're good Al!

I'm pretty sure they are oyster spat.