Ouch, Ooch and dang nabbit!!!

RJB

Ive just sold two crabs and one nice fish and made a bunch of  money's and I also had some freinds coming over.  Once they left I started yet another fossil crab fossil.  Whilst digging a hole in the concretion cause i wasnt sure of ventral or dorsal I was thinkin of another fossil hunting adventure and simply was not paying attention because of the excitement of all that money and friends  and did a real number on messing up this crab carapace.  I was absolutely shocked!!!  Then was disgusted with myself.  This is the most desaterly 'ding' ive put onto a crab carapace!!!  Bar none!!!  I can also now tell that this crab is sittin off center of the concretion.  Not a good thing!!!   Most of the crabs i do, do not make it into my collection, but thats besides the point.  Having to 'fix' a big screw up really bothers me even though this crab more than likely has problems.   Fossil preppin is for fools!!  For losers!  Sorry, just mad at myself, but this most assuridly lets you see that even the "Great RB' is not quite perfect.  Ha!!!  At least I can crack myself up.  Still hurts though.

RB

DcrabA.JPG

Perfection is a harsh mistress.

Remember that, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!

;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds like something I would do if I got into prepping. I have enough trouble just trying to reassemble broken shale fossils! (and not losing pieces while collecting them in the field) - much the same feeling.

Wow @RJB I'm disgusted by your utter carelessness! :P

While that is quite a mistake, you're entitled to one every few years, just don't let it happen again. :rofl: I know you really did it on purpose so everyone would get off the Ron love train and you can go back to the anonymity that you favor.

You are human after all, Ron. :P Still, if you look at this on the balance, your wins to losses ratio is phenomenal enough to sustain the very rare occasion where you goof up. You've got a lot of prep triumphs still ahead of you just as you have a long record of past triumphs.

I can picture that unhappy moment, though... That mixture of towering rage with that sick in your gut disappointment. Of course, a trip to your display area has got to perk you back up again!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

After a few hours I can see this is going to be one of my 'gas' crabs.  A very soft crab with lots and lots of problems.  Its one of those that is good enough to prep out for some gas moneys, but not near good enough for the collection.  Just the way most of these go.  Its also what I call a 'cow poop' crab.  Thats putting it nicely. 

RB

CowpoopcrabB.JPG

25 minutes ago, RJB said:

Its also what I call a 'cow poop' crab.  Thats putting it nicely. 

With sweet talk like that it can't take long to sell :P

10 minutes ago, Phevo said:

With sweet talk like that it can't take long to sell :P

Yeah, I know, but ive prepped out hundreds of these over the years, it will sell someday.  really dont care anymore if it sells or not.  Just looking for the really good A-Grade crabs.  Hard to get ones that go into the collection and always end up with these so called b-grade crabs.  Just part of the prep game.

RB

Ok, put in a few more hours and finished this thing up.  Not the best crab, but not too bad for  a b-grade crab?  Hard to get the A-Grade crabs.  Im going to post some of these 'b-grade' crabs for sale this April and see what happens. 

RB

CowpoopcrabC.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the disarticulation but its still pretty sweet. Nice work! If that is a B what would an A or A- look like of that species? Do mouth parts and eye stalks show up? Regards, Chirs 

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Can You do some close up pictures of these?

Sorry Tony, thats about as close as its gunna get.  Im too lazy nowadays to take those out, carry them to the garage and take a bunch of photos and bring them back in and place them back onto their stands.  Simply too much work nowadays.  :)

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Best crab you ever got?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Best crab you ever got?

I thnk I have many 'bests'. 

RB

Archived