Buying my first Megalodon Tooth

Murman1984

(did I post in the right section, or should I move this to the general discussion forum to get more help)

Hey all, 

Im a beginner collector,  looking at buying a megalodon tooth.

Since it's my first purchase, Im only looking to spend $120 max. 

- I would like to find a complete tooth, that is relatively pretty, 3.5 in or larger, and probably lacking any serrations at my price. Is this possible?

-Does anyone have any tips for a beginner?

-Does anyone have any teeth in mind?

-Ive seen some 4 inch teeth that were beautiful for less than $100, why is this?

1. Here are some of the the sites Ive looked at so far.

Megateeth.com

sharksteeth.com

darkwatermegs.com

fossilera.com

-Are these places reputable? 

-Are there any other good sites?

-Should I be looking on eBay?

-If so who are some good sellers?

-Should I "buy it now" or auction?

-Ive been looking at a seller called 'thesharktoothlady',  has anyone ever heard of her?

Anyways, since Im new, Im not quite sure the right questions to ask, and any information would be great. Also in the very near future, Ill be asking about a spino tooth!

Thanks all!!

Grant

We usually don't review sellers here on the Forum publicly.  ;) 

I can say the owner of Megateeth (Bill Eberline) is a member here. 

He has a solid reputation for decent teeth at decent prices. 

Price of teeth depends on condition of enamel, root, and serrations. The better the condition of all of these, the more expensive they will be. 

Some may have slight dings in the enamel or serrations(Feeding wear) , or have been "restored" - missing root lobes added, or enamel peel repaired. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

42 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

...Megateeth (Bill Eberline) is a member here.

I have never heard a bad thing said of Bill.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Our favorite auction site has almost more Megs than you can count .. but as was mentioned before most of those Meg teeth are beat up or water worn, broken, repaired or have feeding damage.  That being said if you want some smaller Meg teeth from more sought after locations ... Golden Beach, Bone Valley etc ... there are some great teeth if you look hard enough.  They might be small and have some feeding wear but you can get some real lookers with fantastic color and serrations for 25-35 dollars.  Usually in the 2-3 inch size range.

Personally auctions can suck you in and take you for everything you have like a bad day at Vegas. They can prey upon an unwitting buyer so be wary.  That being said I've picked up some great gifts for my nephews that way.  Larger teeth that are worn but for cheaper than a normal list price.

Keep your eye on the sales section of the forum .. teeth can be had there for reasonable prices as well.

Above all else I'd say be patient ... there will always be another 'fish' in the sea so to speak.  Your perfect tooth will come along in time.

Good Luck,

Brett

2 hours ago, Murman1984 said:

-Should I be looking on eBay?

-If so who are some good sellers?

-Should I "buy it now" or auction?

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

We usually don't review sellers here on the Forum publicly.

Of course not, my bad, I will say thesharkteethlady had some really really nice teeth. Im just unaware of what a good deal is.

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Our favorite auction site has almost more Megs than you can count

May I ask what this site is?

Ok so, keep my eye on megateeth and the sale section of this site, Awesome!

So, if my price range was $120 or less, and I was looking persistently, what kinds of teeth may I be able to find? Maybe a decent 4.5in, or a nice 3.5in, Really I have no clue. Please any help would be nice, and I won't quote you on it. :) I just need to know what to look for in my price range. 

Thank you all!!!

Grant

45 minutes ago, Murman1984 said:

So, if my price range was $120 or less, and I was looking persistently, what kinds of teeth may I be able to find? Maybe a decent 4.5in, or a nice 3.5in, Really I have no clue. Please any help would be nice, and I won't quote you on it. :) I just need to know what to look for in my price range. 

Thank you all!!!

Grant

Haha ... the site was in my quote ? 

As for budget ... if you have a budget of $120 you can get some beautiful teeth over 4 + inches with serrations and tip. Or 5 inches and some change for something more water worn.  Tim was on the money so to speak, there are many options you just need to educate yourself before purchasing. I'll can also PM you one option I go to that has some very good deals and is a solid seller. 

Cheers,

Brett

Steve Alter at megalodonteeth.com was my starting point when I began collecting. He has commercial quality teeth and collector quality. In your budget, you can get a 4 3/4" commercial quality tooth and a bit of change left over. These are still decent teeth but may have some feeding damage, slight root damage etc. As for collector quality, you can get a tooth in better condition, but at a smaller size. You'd have to check his inventory. Welcome to the world of fossil teeth.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

One thing you can do also is to post pictures on the board to ask for opinions about the tooth before you buy them!  We can't give you a value of the tooth, but we can say if it looks like a nice tooth or not.... this is what I recommend.

If you get a commercial quality tooth from Steve Alter (megalodonteeth.com) ask him to send you pics before you buy rather than buying sight unseen (though he does offer returns if you are not satisfied).

I did get an neat looking large (5.3") from ebay a few years ago for a good price... it has quite a bit of wear though (no serrations).  You will have to decide if you want a smaller tooth with less wear or a bigger tooth with more wear on it given a particular budget.

One thing to be aware of is that some teeth with enamel peeling are polished to make them look better... that's fine if disclosed, but that is not always the case.  A polished tooth would be less desirable as a collector.  Once again, post pics here first before you buy.  Search ebay for "polished Megalodon tooth" for examples.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, Fossildude19 said:

We usually don't review sellers here on the Forum publicly.  ;) 

I can say the owner of Megateeth (Bill Eberline) is a member here. 

He has a solid reputation for decent teeth at decent prices. 

Price of teeth depends on condition of enamel, root, and serrations. The better the condition of all of these, the more expensive they will be. 

Some may have slight dings in the enamel or serrations(Feeding wear) , or have been "restored" - missing root lobes added, or enamel peel repaired. 

Thanks Tim, I appreciate.

On 2018-03-13 at 9:07 PM, Murman1984 said:

Of course not, my bad, I will say thesharkteethlady had some really really nice teeth. Im just unaware of what a good deal is.

Thank you all!!!

Grant

I actually added to the sale page today.

I am not sure you are right to put a link of for sale teeth with prices in this part of the forum...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have experience buying from fossilera and megateeth.com. Both sites are very reputable with reasonable prices. If you are buying your first megalodon tooth, I would advise getting one that is mid-quality. Some of those perfect ones carry a mighty price tag! Keep an eye out for teeth with small chips in them. Small deformities can lower the price on otherwise great fossils. 

On 3/14/2018 at 4:14 AM, Northern Sharks said:

Steve Alter at megalodonteeth.com was my starting point when I began collecting. He has commercial quality teeth and collector quality. In your budget, you can get a 4 3/4" commercial quality tooth and a bit of change left over. These are still decent teeth but may have some feeding damage, slight root damage etc. As for collector quality, you can get a tooth in better condition, but at a smaller size. You'd have to check his inventory. Welcome to the world of fossil teeth.

Yes, I've dealt with Steve for years too.  Good guy.  I've seen him at Tucson, Venice Shark Tooth Festival, and I think he's been to the Tampa Fossil Fest.  He's very knowledgeable about a wide range of shark species as well.

Early in my collecting and over the years, I bought from Lowcountry Geologic - Mark has megs across the price range and knows a variety of species and other fossils as well.

I would try to find a mineral/fossil show in your area and check that out.  Get an idea of what teeth of various sizes, quality levels, and known localities go for.

Archived