10,000 B.c (the Movie)

fossil man

i was watching rob and big last night on MTV and i seen a preview for this movie called 10,000 b.c.

i was a pretty fast past preview (which i guess they all are). But just wondering if anyone else saw it and what everyone thought of it. In the preview the was a pack of hunters sneeking up on prey then they charge, it had mammoths, smilodon (sorry for the spelling). looks good to me

It's going to be interesting to see if it's actually historically accurate or if the directors just focus on making it entertaining. It comes out either march 7th or 8th. It's from the same people who made 300, so it should be a killer movie.

The previews don't look accurate at all to me, but it still looks interesting. Nobody really knows how things were back then, soo.. anything is a possibility.

Well, I'm going to go see it with all the other paleontology nerds I know, and I know how to enjoy a movie's plot while not getting hung up on fatual errors.

That being said, it is still fun to point them out and still enjoy the movie at the same time.

In any event, just from the trailer:

The saber toothed cat's head is far too gigantic, and the cat in general; perhaps a cave lion would have actually been that size.

I'm pretty sure that Mammoths were not used to construct monuments, the earliest of the size depicted in the film would have been the ziggurats of Sumeria, and I'm fairly certain no mammoth remains have been found there (although mammoths probably still existed at that point in places like Siberia).

Anyway, the movie still looks pretty awesome.

Ah, just some thoughts.

well i guess it is easy to say that everybody whats to see it from the entertainment standpoint. Glad nobody is getting hung up on it from the factual standpoint of it.

well i guess it is easy to say that everybody whats to see it from the entertainment standpoint. Glad nobody is getting hung up on it from the factual standpoint of it.

From the previews I've seen it doesn't appear they were at all trying to make it realistic, but they were trying to make it a really good movie and that I think it will be, I think Cris and I will see this one in the theaters because it looks really good.

I liked the Jurassic Park movies as well but I don't think there's much real science in it some maybe but not a lot.

Guest solius symbiosus
Interesting movie, but where is Raquel Welch? The old timers will know what I mean.

Some not so old timers might wonder the same thing about Rae Dawn Chong. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this movie might be fun to see as a fantasy film, it is terribly innaccurate scientifically (this apparent from just the trailers). Like Boesse says, the saber tooth cat is way too big, closer to the cave lion size. The technologies and level of civilization depicted is much closer to 3000 BC than 10000 BC.

Here is a more complete discussion:

The REAL 10,000 B.C.

• 1 year later...

I thought it was very good scietificly inacurate of course but still good I really liked the terror birds in that forest scences