Is This A Tooth?

amyboone

Ok, lets see if I can figure this out!

Is this a bone that has just been shaped over time to look like a tooth or do you think it is a tooth? It definitely looks and feels like bone to me.

It was found in the Georgetown, TX area. I found it above a creekbed kinda in a run off.

gallery_2067_527_23842.jpg

gallery_2067_527_123642.jpg

gallery_2067_527_97167.jpg

and next to a pint sized jar so you can see the size

gallery_2067_527_25237.jpg

And is this some kind of lava/molten rock?

gallery_2067_527_164350.jpg

gallery_2067_527_11763.jpg

It looks to me like you have a porous piece of limestone in the top pic and a concretion of some sort on the second one.Neither of which are fossils,but interesting none the less.

Hmm, I guess I need to clean the first thing really good and reevaluate. ;) It is covered in limestone dust, I did not clean it at all before I took the picture, but it does not feel like limestone to me. I will take another picture after I clean it.

Thanks the posting about the concretion, when I looked that up to see what it was I found Limonite, and I guess that is what it is.

That second piece looks like a worn Pyrite piece.

I did find some pyrite the other day, but this does not look like that. I saw Limonite when I googled concretion and it looks like the Limonite that is pictured.

amyboone,

Do you have a micro setting on your camera? If you do take a pic with it and it will give the better pic of the porous part of that one you want identified. :D

The best days are spent collecting fossils

The first piece looks like a tooth shaped piece of limestone. In the third picture of it, there might be some fragments of fossils. Scrub the dust off and check it out with a magnifying glass. The other piece looks like Hematite (iron).

amyboone,

Do you have a micro setting on your camera? If you do take a pic with it and it will give the better pic of the porous part of that one you want identified. :D

That is with my micro setting :D

amyb., that looks like the limestone that I'm buried in here in NW Ark. Not much chance of a tooth, although there were a few primitive sharks swimming around in the Mississippian.

I found a piece that looks like your second pic, turned out to be a Vivianite nodule. I see a little blue color in the lower left hand corner of the sample, apparently, when exposed to sunlight, Vivianite loses its color but only on the surface. Pick off one of the little knobs and see if it's blue inside.

Then the forst one looks like limestone unless cleaned up it would look different

The best days are spent collecting fossils

The second set of photos are limonite, fairly common here in Missouri, and actually mined for their iron content occasionally. Vivianite is an intense blue, I have only seen it in highly reducing environments (no oxygen to react with, ie swamp), whereas limonite is actually "rust", iron reacted with oxygen.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Well I'm certainly not a mineral expert. The Vivianite that I found looked exactly like that. With one exception. While digging it out one of the little nodules was broken off revealing a beautiful deep rich blue inside. Apparently, Vivianite, when exposed to light loses it's exterior blue color. In the above photo I thought I see a little blue a little blue section in the lower left hand corner. Mine was found in a greensand (Cretaceous) deposit in New Jersey.

Fresh Vivianite is actually colourless or nearly so. Most commonly found as blue or green. Light and oxidation turns it blue or green. It darkens with exposure to light. See Here

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

The second picture is definitely limonite. No blue in it anywhere.

The other is probably limestone, but I will try to get another picture today.

Well I just wanted to say okay, my tooth is probably oolitic limestone :rolleyes:

But hey, at least I thought I found something really cool for a bit! :D

Well I just wanted to say okay, my tooth is probably oolitic limestone :rolleyes:

But hey, at least I thought I found something really cool for a bit! :D

Doh! You said oolitic! Oh man, the last time someone said oolitic, tracer couldn't get that out of his head for a week...by the way, coolitic limestone. :faint:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Doh! You said oolitic! Oh man, the last time someone said oolitic, tracer couldn't get that out of his head for a week...by the way, coolitic limestone. :faint:

<magically appearing> did somebody mention "oolitic"?

<magically disappearing>

<small poof of wispy smoke, courtesy of the forum's pyrotechnic special effects technician, roz>