M.Mark

I recently received as a gift this very small theropod tooth fragment from Morocco.

P_20180313_183317_1.thumb.jpg.bb1bec234586531f3c63afc340a39f27.jpg

P_20180313_183429_1.thumb.jpg.e521e4752b08e591b55fe1ba7e1bf708.jpg

I labeled it as Theropod indet., but I'm searching for a possibly more specific ID. In my opinion it may be a 2 cm broken tip of a small tooth from a Carcharodontosaur, but I also thought of the Abelisaur possibility. I tend to ignore the relatively unknown Deltadromeus and the hipothetical dromaeosaur, given the lack of good material, but I'm open to suggestions. 

Here you can see two focus photos of the serrations I took with a small digital microscope. As you see, there is a slight difference between the two sides.

Still001.bmp

Still004.bmp

Yes really looks like Abelisaurus. And they are often found in KemKem. Don’t think it’s Carcharodontosaurus, their teeth are fatter. Color and serrations match for Abelisaurus. :) 

Regards

• I found this Informative 1

Can you take a picture of the base even though it's broken I want to see how fat the tooth is..  A closeup of the serrations at tip on the distal side would help looking for blood grooves. I'm leaning toward a Carcharodontosaurid

• I found this Informative 1

@Troodon

Here you are a photo of the base "section". 

P_20180314_184502_1.jpg.93794140d36565a6611610dafc5cbb09.jpg

The two microscopial photos should have the serrations of both sides, are they visibile at all? I fear the BMP format may bring problems in showing properly the files.

@DatFossilBoy I deeply suspected an abelisaur origin, thank you.

I think I can say it's not an Abelsaurid.  The distal carina is not perpendicular to the base and the cross-section at the base is not compressed enough.   Still leaning toward Carcharodontosaurid but need to have a better look at those distal serrations but without a complete tooth may be difficult.  Currently there are no dinosaur teeth, theropod or herbivore from the Kem Kem that you can positively assign to a species or even a genus.  More unknowns will take new discoveries.  I like your initial call Theropod indet

Here is a topic I put out of the different morphologies from this region. 

• I found this Informative 3

That tooth looks like an Abelisaur tooth. Carcharodonto teeth tend to be fatter with a more uniform enamel.