nautiloid or ammonoid late Pennsylvanian/early Permian Kansas

Innocentx

I found this last Friday. It's unusually large fossil for my area. It was found in creek gravel bar so is difficult to pin down formation. It may even have tumbled down from Permian which is only mile and a half upstream. It has what looks a bite mark across the side. The reverse of detailed side has been worn off.

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The curve is so slight, I thought it could possibly be large orthocone.

I was thinking orthocone as well. :headscratch:

I really wish I knew more about Kansas geology to help out, but my searches have turned up bumpkis for this particular piece. :( 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very cool find whatever it may be. It makes me think there is hope for the coolness of some of the fragments I pick up, but that’s cool even if it’s a fragment for how big it is.

I say cephalopod, what kind I have no clue. It is huge! I am leaning towards Permian. I know nautaloids were fairly common in the Permian, but that is about all I know. I know a little about Pennsylvanian and I can’t think of any nautili that big, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t exist. The big cephalopods I think of were the orthoceras. They got pretty big. My did lives near Fayettevile, Arkansas and they found I think it was a couple 6- 7 feet long orthoceras in Fayetteville, which tends to be Pennsylvanian, Mississippian around there. 

Yours appears to have a curve though. Could the curve be due to being broken or crushed? If so then I’d say might Pennsylvanian orthoceras. 

I found this not far from the above, though it's only 9 inches long. Admire Group.

IMG_4088.JPG

8 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Yours appears to have a curve though.

It may appear more curved from damage/loss to the left of red line. Seven foot long orthoceras... wow!

IMG_4085 gradual curve.jpg

Definitely leaning towards orthoceras then. Exactly what part of Kansas was this in?

That would have been a whopper!

@KimTexan I've drawn a red circle around my general hunting area.

hunting grounds.JPG

Disregard this map and see below.

@Foozil I'm not sure if that hole is the siphuncle related, but maybe.

@KimTexan Got my first map wrong (considering new pair glasses!). Here is correct.

hunting area 2.JPG

Archived