fernwood

Geology:  South Western advance of Green Bay Glacial Lobe.  Former Glacial Lake Oshkosh.  Niagara Escarpment Debris.  My land.  Ordovician onward. 

Reminds me of Ordovician Halysites Coral-Chain Coral, but with a lot of wear.  In some places, the chain is partially visible.  When a light is held to the cavity edges shown on the first two photos, the walls are very translucent.  Medium amber color. 

I saw the more solid edge and picked it up.  Was very pleased when I turned it over, even though it was full of dirt. 

Like most of the fossils, I find, this one has received a lot of trauma.  Possibly a victim of glacier which went through the Niagara Escarpment about 25,000 years ago.   Most of my finds have partial or full crystal replacement for the coral stems. 

Size:  11 cm long by 10 cm wide by 9 cm thick at maximum points. 

All comments appreciated.  Thank you.

26942087768_94b71a0f18_z.jpglace coral 1a

26942086438_6c5961ecec_z.jpglace coral 1c

26942084848_5a6e31a10a_z.jpglace coral 2

26942084848_5a6e31a10a_z.jpglace coral 2

ud 2d

Geologic and cool but not a fossil coral. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Geologist are not Paleontologist. ;) There are no coral structures (corallite, tabulae, growth lines, septum) just an outward appearance. I see what looks like the imprint of a brachiopod in one of the voids/pockets. What was preserved in those "holes" has weathered away long ago. 

• I found this Informative 1

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Good point.  Thanks for pointing out the possible brachiopod.  Think I found it.  

The more I learn, the better.  Thank you.

It may even be similar to the other piece you posted with pentamerid steinkerns still in place, but here they have all been eroded or fallen out. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pachy said:

A discordant voice from our always dangerous and controversial section, reasonable similarities.

They are going to attack me with size and age but ......., the resemblance is reasonable, I'm sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurodictyum

http://fredmhaynes.com/2014/12/08/pleurodicytum/

No sorry its not a Pleurodictyum. 

led zeppelin

Most of the corallites are too large for Pleurodictyum, but it was said before.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Joining the chorus. Certainly not Pleurodictyum. When considering if the specimen is a fossil coral, one major criteria would be some relative uniformity in the size of the corallites. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Joining the chorus. Certainly not Pleurodictyum. When considering if the specimen is a fossil coral, one major criteria would be some relative uniformity in the size of the corallites. 

Relative uniformity in size of coralites?

Pffffffffffff !!!!!!!!!, little uniformity in size of calices presents this specimen.

Pleurodictyum americanum Roemer from the Kashong Shale (Hamilton Group), Middle Devonian (Givetian) of Livingston County, New York. Specimen collected by Brian Bade.

800px-Pleurodictyum_americanum_Kashong.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pachy said:

Relative uniformity in size of coralites?

Pleurodictyum americanum Roemer from the Kashong Shale (Hamilton Group), Middle Devonian (Givetian) of Livingston County, New York. Specimen collected by Brian Bade.

800px-Pleurodictyum_americanum_Kashong.jpg

Well, I did qualify with "relative" :P 

It was a good guess, by the way. I apologize if my comment appeared brusque - not my intention! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

41 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well, I did qualify with "relative" :P 

It was a good guess, by the way. I apologize if my comment appeared brusque - not my intention! :) 

No problem, I did not find it brusque. Far from reality as you can see in that specimen of calices certainly very variable in size.;)

In the same way, I hope not to seem brusque. It is not my intention either.

Once again, most of the corallites are too large for Pleurodictyum, even for P. americanum.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, Pachy said:

They are going to attack me with size and age but ......., the resemblance is reasonable, I'm sorry.

And P. americanum king size ?????? :D:D:D

El atípico chico grandote. Atipical big boy.