Pleistocene Proboscidean Tooth

TNCollector

I found this today in a coastal Early Pleistocene deposit in South Carolina. I was thinking mammoth when I found it, but now I think it may be something else? It doesn’t have the characteristic rows of a mammoth tooth.

29DF498B-705E-4E03-B720-8DFBABD39CCB.thumb.jpeg.9e53cbda130fdead422a841d4eb72141.jpeg0CC4082B-D9F2-4DEA-8B3D-A14A5076BD49.thumb.jpeg.280b3de7e2ef5a9c0181a6b898727549.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

@ynot @Auspex

i can definitely see the resemblance, but is this tooth too large to be a milk tooth? All of the ones I have seen have been 1 to two inches across. This one is broken but is 2 and 13/16 inches across the crown, 7.19 cm. I also have not seen many milk teeth, so I really don’t know what I’m talking about. Are they rare?

@Harry Pristis

Looks like mammoth to me as well, perhaps some pathology would cause that at the end?

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Maybe gomphothere?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

Looks like mammoth to me as well, perhaps some pathology would cause that at the end?

Ditto.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That is quite beautiful with the lacy bryozoans attached.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

That's how I can see it:

E9C0D8F3-5F42-417F-801B-DED161A3278E.jpeg.9087bd9c520f71a189f8447e9ce8a64a.thumb.jpg.9780f890db7f9d23be5037ad6ba95cc1.jpg5aabe74a1484a_Cuvieroniushyodon1.thumb.jpg.a65babbde96c3c59d3209202fdffaac2.jpg

Comparative image is a Cuvieronius hyodon right m3 tooth.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm pretty confident it is from a mammoth. There is a lot of cementum surrounding the enamel. Not something you see in a mastodon or gomphothere. 

mammoth.JPG

4 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Comparative image is a Cuvieronius hyodon right m3 tooth.

Hmmmmm... Now that I see it might be just a tiny piece, mammoth ain't so unlikely anymore. But the arangement of the worns cusps is a better match for something like Cuvieronius. I'm sticking with proboscidean, though!

The cementum is what originally made me think Mammoth, but yes, the arrangement just doesn't match Mammoth at all. The cusps are not horizontally aligned like in a mammoth tooth, it almost appears that they are pointing towards the center of the tooth. Gomphothere fossils are known from this area, as well as mammoth.:headscratch: