Fungi, Algae, Chert?

fernwood

I see the problem.

In my mind a mushroom is not distinct from a fungus. It is simply a manifestation of a fungus.

I tend to think in terms of the complete phylogeny.

I believe the earliest record of them is preserved in chert. They are theorized to have evolved very early in the history of life. 

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I see the problem.

In my mind a mushroom is not distinct from a fungus. It is simply a manifestation of a fungus.

I tend to think in terms of the complete phylogeny.

I believe the earliest record of them is preserved in chert. They are theorized to have evolved very early in the history of life. 

Well that sorts it then :)

On a side note, it's not an uncommon subject for debate in Denmark because of the names of the two groups in Danish...

"Svamp" is mushroom and "Havsvamp" "sea mushroom" is Sponge... :P

54 minutes ago, Phevo said:

On a side note, it's not an uncommon subject for debate in Denmark because of the names of the two groups in Danish...

"Svamp" is mushroom and "Havsvamp" "sea mushroom" is Sponge... :P

Fine example of how the language we use affects the way we think.

• I found this Informative 1

Language and regional terms.  Have learned that depending on the region in the world one lives in, different terms are used to describe different items.  Even different regions within a state, province, territory, etc.  Language and how it is translated also come into play.   I am trying to use simple language here to limit confusion from those who need to translate posts.  But at times I falter.