Glen Rose Formation Fossils

Cgs928

Hello all,

I am working on my thesis covering fossils of the lower Glen Rose Formation. Could anyone possibly help me identify these specimens?

These are heart urchins which I suspect to be Epiaster whitei... Could these be heteraster instead? They range from 3 to 5 cm in diameter and are mostly crushed or broken...

20180314_145749.jpg

I agree with Eric.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

6 hours ago, Herb said:

I agree with Eric.

I do too.

You should be finding Loriolia texana as well which can be found in the walnut stuff too.

• I found this Informative 1

There are 2 main spatangoids you find in that horizon, correctly ID'd by our esteemed colleague, erose.  They are easy to distinguish at a glance based on macro features.  Heteraster has a single depressed ambulacrum, the posterior amb.  Pliotoxaster has all 5 ambs depressed.  Keep in mind that keying out similar echs often entails examination of details on the micro level, with species sometimes distinguished by single vs. double rows of pores, shape of pores (round vs. slits), tubercle count per row, etc.  We got off easy this time.

• I found this Informative 6

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

There are 2 main spatangoids you find in that horizon, correctly ID'd by our esteemed colleague, erose.  They are easy to distinguish at a glance based on macro features.  Heteraster has a single depressed ambulacrum, the posterior amb.  Pliotoxaster has all 5 ambs depressed.  Keep in mind that keying out similar echs often entails examination of details on the micro level, with species sometimes distinguished by single vs. double rows of pores, shape of pores (round vs. slits), tubercle count per row, etc.  We got off easy this time.

Thanks Dan. And you are absolutely correct that these two were easy. Sometimes the possible choices are much harder to sort out.

8 hours ago, bone2stone said:

I do too.

You should be finding Loriolia texana as well which can be found in the walnut stuff too.

Loriolia rosana is what you are thinking of.  

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, erose said:

Loriolia rosana is what you are thinking of.  

By golly you're right.