Fossil Identification from Glen Rose Limestone

Cgs928

Hello all, 

I am trying to identify various fossils from the Cretaceous Glen Rose Formation around Spring Branch, Texas. Could anyone verify my identifications... The first is gastropod molds which I assumed to be either a Turritella or Cerithium species. The second I named Nerinea texana. The third is an ornamented urchin indicative of the Glen Rose formation called Salenia texana. Finally the curly fossils I am unsure if those are gastropods? And the final fossil is a clam of sorts with polychaete worms growing on it. Any idea what this clam may be?

20180314_152701.jpg

Your regular echinoids are Leptosalenia texana.  The upper heart urchin looks like Heteraster obliquatus and the lower one is Pliotoxaster comanchei.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

OK, here we go, to the best of my abilities with the photos given and the location:

Top left look more like small Tylostoma sp. There are several species in the GR. But closer photos would help and there are too many gastropods that appear alike.

Top middle is possibly Mesalia (Turritella) sp.

Top right, Nerinea is definitely the genus, but there are many species in the GR and, again one would need to see more detail or have better specimens.

Middle left sea urchins are Leptosalenia texana. Phymosoma texana does occur in the GR, but not so commonly as it does in younger rocks like the Walnut or Commanche Peak formations.

Middle right are all gastropods or fragments of gastropods.

Bottom center is Chlamys stantoni, a "scallop-like" bivalve.

The other heart urchins are top, Heteraster (Enalaster) obliquatus and bottom looks like Pliotoxaster comanchei. H. texanus occurs in younger rocks.

Archived