Mountain Creek, Texas Mystery - Shark Tooth and Poo

GeschWhat

I picked up a new poo (at least I'm thinking it's poo) at our favorite auction site. The only think I know about it is that it was found in Mountain Creek, Texas. There is a shark tooth and bivalve impression on the bottom. I'm hoping this might be diaagnostic.

Can someone identify the shark tooth and bivalve impression?

Any idea what formation these are from? 

As always, thanks a bunch for your help!

bivalve.jpg

Shark Tooth-1.jpg

7 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Shark Tooth-1.jpg

That's a kinky tooth. Love the ridge down the middle of the blade. Nice serrations & color too.  :dinothumb:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

It is a species of Squalicorax. Not sure which one.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

1 minute ago, GeschWhat said:

That makes it Cretaceous?

Yes, Cretaceous. I am thinking it may be S. kaupi (now known as lindstromi, I believe) 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Chances are that it came from the area of Mountain Creek Lake which is slightly southwest of downtown Dallas.  Pretty much all of the exposures in that area are Cretaceous.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I do not think this is coprolite.

There are scattered deposits in the Eagleford, within the Arcadia Park member, that produce this matrix.

Almost always creamy white with some iron specks mixed in. Rich in phosphate pebbles and small fossils including the shark teeth.

When building the Eagle's nest Church site (I think Keist Blvd) there was a sizable area of this material dozed out and used for fill.

Teeth were quite abundant especially the squally.

Your specimen looks to have broken away, in the past, and exposed which allowed it to smooth down to it's present condition.

I like locating an outcrop of this material, I find something interesting every time!

4 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Chances are that it came from the area of Mountain Creek Lake which is slightly southwest of downtown Dallas.  Pretty much all of the exposures in that area are Cretaceous.

-Joe

Yep!

I don’t believe it is a coprolite either. That is a common weathering pattern of the rock from that area.

There is a lot of conglomerated masses of marine deposits around North Texas. The amount has shocked me at times. Especially up near Lake Texoma. The oyster sheets and crustacean burrows among other things are present in massive amounts beyond my imagination.

I’m thinking there have to be lobsters or crabs preserved in some of those burrows.

Very cool finds of teeth! Nice.

12 hours ago, bone2stone said:

I do not think this is coprolite.

There are scattered deposits in the Eagleford, within the Arcadia Park member, that produce this matrix.

Almost always creamy white with some iron specks mixed in. Rich in phosphate pebbles and small fossils including the shark teeth.

When building the Eagle's nest Church site (I think Keist Blvd) there was a sizable area of this material dozed out and used for fill.

Teeth were quite abundant especially the squally.

Your specimen looks to have broken away, in the past, and exposed which allowed it to smooth down to it's present condition.

I like locating an outcrop of this material, I find something interesting every time!

6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I don’t believe it is a coprolite either. That is a common weathering pattern of the rock from that area.

There is a lot of conglomerated masses of marine deposits around North Texas. The amount has shocked me at times. Especially up near Lake Texoma. The oyster sheets and crustacean burrows among other things are present in massive amounts beyond my imagination.

I’m thinking there have to be lobsters or crabs preserved in some of those burrows.

Very cool finds of teeth! Nice.

I question whether it is a coprolite as well. I just can't pass up an opportunity to check out anything with potential. :D 

Last night, I started reading "The Geology of Dallas County," dated December 1941. There was a mention of calcareous concretions in there that made me wonder if that might be what I have. However, I haven't been able to find anything that would show what those look like. If you guys ever get out to this area, would you mind shooting some photos of the concretions? I also found what looks like a small dark coprolite embedded in the bottom. If the over all specimen was a coprolite, the smaller coprolite would have had to fossilize prior to the larger specimen dropping on top of it. Another thing it has going against it (as far as fecal origin) is that it appears to be a clump of smaller masses. Based on the size, it would have to come from a large animal. Unlike land animals, I doubt if big ocean critters like mosasaurs or plesiosaurs remain stationary to poop. 

Then again, the underlying material does resemble coprolites I've examined from the Eagle Ford, but it has been a long time since I've looked at them. The shark tooth is in a chipped area filled with matrix. I scrapped away some of the matrix in that area and it's very homogenous.  I think I still have a couple Eagle Ford coprolites around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find them. I know they were the same light color. I really want to compare the material. It is interesting, whatever it is. Thanks for your help!

coprolite.jpg

17 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

-Joe

Thank you, Joe! I figured some of you guys down there would be familiar with the area. :)

I can see it as a septarian concretion with different sort of inclusions.

Bottom.jpg.b8122610d16150f558d4760063f80a09.thumb.jpg.e6b1cdcd9f69f03dfa1323c4dcab5da5.jpg

'Composition in exposed area' - reminds me of mineral (manganese) dendrites.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree that this is geological rather than scatological. 

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

22 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I can see it as a septarian concretion with different sort of inclusions.

I can see the cracking, too. It's just not the run of the mill mud gray nodule. I really need to get organized. I have been looking all over for my septarian coprolite. It isn't a nodule, and it is very small, but it has the calcite filled cracks. Darn - snarge all over the house! You don't happen to have any of your magnificent papers or articles in you magic bag on septarians, do you? I picked two from New Mexico that have a ton of inclusions (mostly shells) and they are heart shaped. It's not poop, but it intrigued me. I thought I would look at them and figure out how they were formed in my spare time - I just haven't had any yet.

22 hours ago, abyssunder said:

'Composition in exposed area' - reminds me of mineral (manganese) dendrites.

I'm pretty sure it is manganese - but to me it looks like mold :D Here is a pretty little dendrite on one of my Triassic poops. 

Dendrite.jpg

I'm pretty sure you all are correct with regard to it being geological. At least it had a coprolite stuck to it. This one will likely go in my psuedocoprolite pile for presentations. Thanks to all for your insites into the area. You all are the BEST!

Archived