mikecable

Update on Lost Creek Dam--Lake Jacksboro

mikecable

Gary and I went out to Lost Creek Dam yesterday.  We paid our park fee and hiked the dam back to the pit.  There were new signs on both gates that read "Danger--Authorized Personnel Only." I called the park office and they weren't aware of the change and suggested I call City Hall.  I did, and after I asked about possible rule changes I was put on hold for 7 minutes.  Another woman came on and had me repeat my question.  She told me we could hunt, but they wanted to be notified in advance. She took my name and phone number, and a head count.  I asked her if I could disseminate this info on various forums and groups.  She encouraged me to do so.  Sorry, but I didn't get her name.  I also don't know how the new rule applies to minors.  To tell the truth I think it was made up on the spot.  Just a heads up. 

keedler

Well what did you find?  Did you eat at the green frog?

mikecable

Typical haul. Ate at La Casa Grande.  There is new bistro on the square that look like it might be good, but also may be a bit upscale.

mikecable

I think it might be time for some very diplomatic push-back.  I suspect they are at least considering closing the site.  If field trip directors from the various clubs that make annual pilgrimages to the site were to call City Hall I think it would help.  Let them know the economic impact--food, gas, lodging, supplies.  Also bring up the educational impact.  You may use my name, and let them know I've already disseminated the new (ad-hoc) policy to thousands of people across the state and around the world.

KimTexan

I didn't know you had to pay. I’ve only been once. I drove in the back dirt road and never saw a sign about paying. I went in October. Thanks for sharing the info.

mikecable

The dam is property of the park.  You are paying for the right to hike it.  There is a self pay station on 59 a few hundred yards from Lost Creek Road.  It's not always open in the winter, and then you have to go to park headquarters.  3 bucks a head for 13 and older.

mikecable

Jacksboro City Hall--940-567-3506.  Suggestion--Volunteer to put in self-pay station like the one at the park.  Include liability waivers like they use at Lake Brownwood.  Perhaps the Dallas Paleo Society could coordinate something like this.  I'd chip in.  It would be a disaster to lose access to this site.

mikecable

I may have overreacted. According to some that know more than I this is primarily meant for large club trips.  I still plan to check in advance, but many don't, and have even met with park personnel, the city and the owners.

mikecable

I removed my social media posts.  I'm leaving this one here since the most knowledgeable folk are here.  Just remember to pay the park fee to cross the dam.

RyanNREMTP

Well, that was a close one.  I've really enjoyed my visits to this site.  Yeah the walk across the dam is long and hot during the summer but the finds there are great.  I still love finding  Conulariids out there. Though I'm hearing they are getting more rare to find.

BobWill

Some folks in the city are actually promoting the fossil collecting site in small ways. I helped the Chamber of Commerce set up a display case with more than 100 fossils in their office at the old train station on the way into town. I also gave a talk at the Loins Club about the importance of the site with all the studies that have been done there including the researchers from Germany.

I'm told the land owner is very congenial when he has talked to collectors there. The signs may just be to absolve him of responsibility if someone gets hurt or snake-bit. Did anyone mention the rattlesnakes? Periodically the city sprays herbicide along the trail across the dam and likes to warn people when they are doing that so big groups, especially with kids, aren't exposed.

Anyone in the north Texas area might like to know that the Dallas Paleontological Society is hosting a study group on the site which is open to anyone. We are putting together an updated floral and faunal list and identification guide as well as working with some of the researchers preparing material on the geology and fossils from there. Look on www.dallaspaleo.org under the "list" symbol at the right end of the banner on top of the pages. On the drop-down click on Jacksboro study group for the material we have assembled so far. Our next meeting is at the University of Texas at Arlington so contact me if you're interested.