Elosuchus? From Kem Kem

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Bought this little tooth for a low price. It was sold as an Elosuchus crocodile tooth. Is that correct?

It's from the Kem Kem beds, Morocco.

There are two small cutting edges, each on either side of the tooth (photos 1 and 3) (photo 2 is not a cutting edge I think, as it looks more like a split/groove in the tooth).

I can always make more pictures if needed. 

Thanks in advance for replies!

Max

IMG_6243.JPG

IMG_6244.JPG

IMG_6245.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_6246.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6248.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Looks indeed like croc to me, but I don't know if there is a way to know if that's indeed Elosuchus (except size, it was an huge animal), yours seems kinda small so maybe there is the possibility belongs to another species.

Nice tooth anyway, was the fair in Ede?

Greetings.

It's croc and I agree with gigantoraptor there are multiple crocs in the Kem Kem that may have similiar morphologies in that size.  Any evidence of serrations in the carina?  

@gigantoraptor @Troodon @LordTrilobite @Tidgy's Dad

Thanks guys! I'm happy with it.

Just a little bit a shame that it must be an indet. croc... 

I didn't notice any serrations, but I'll take a closer look under my microscope. I don't think there are any though.

Max Derème

On 3/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, gigantoraptor said:

was the fair in Ede?

Yep :) LINK

Were you there too?

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Yep :) LINK

Were you there too?

No, but I hope you left some nice Kem Kem teeth bones and teeth for me as I am going to a fair tomorrow:D. The seller you bought them from will be there.

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

No, but I hope you left some nice Kem Kem teeth bones and teeth for me as I am going to a fair tomorrow:D. The seller you bought them from will be there.

I did leave some, yes ;) Although I do like this location a lot, I'm not as much a fan of it as other members here are!

How do you know which seller I bought the tooth from though? :headscratch::ninja:

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

I did leave some, yes ;) Although I do like this location a lot, I'm not as much a fan of it as other members here are!

How do you know which seller I bought the tooth from though? :headscratch::ninja:

I've been on many fairs in Belgium, and it's the only guy I know who sells such fun material. And I saw his fossils on your pictures.

5 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I've been on many fairs in Belgium, and it's the only guy I know who sells such fun material. And I saw his fossils on your pictures.

Ah ok 

Max Derème

In the pic from the top down, it looks really shiny. Was there paint work done to this, or is it maybe the flash from the camera?

No paint work on this these small teeth have no serrations, are rather blunt and almost always small. Based on this its not elosuchus, but another one of the many many crocodiles found in the kem kem beds.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:05 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Croc for sure.

I am amazed that you can tell what type of tooth that is! May I ask what identifies that as definite type?is the shape the only defining characteristic?

3 hours ago, Malone said:

I am amazed that you can tell what type of tooth that is! May I ask what identifies that as definite type?is the shape the only defining characteristic?

Since it's from Kem Kem, there's a few things it can be as there are several animals with pointed teeth there. This would be fish, dinosaurs, crocs and pterosaurs. The only toothed pterosaur we know of in Kem Kem right now has quite flattened teeth and they are also fairly slender. The only dinosaurs that have roughly similar teeth there are Spinosaurids, but they are generally quite straight and have less pronounced cutting edges. Fish teeth tend to be quite small and often also quite slender. This tooth is slightly curved, a bit fat, nicely rounded at the base and has cutting edges. This all fits with croc.

So it's mainly just a process of elimination.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Since it's from Kem Kem, there's a few things it can be as there are several animals with pointed teeth there. This would be fish, dinosaurs, crocs and pterosaurs. The only toothed pterosaur we know of in Kem Kem right now has quite flattened teeth and they are also fairly slender. The only dinosaurs that have roughly similar teeth there are Spinosaurids, but they are generally quite straight and have less pronounced cutting edges. Fish teeth tend to be quite small and often also quite slender. This tooth is slightly curved, a bit fat, nicely rounded at the base and has cutting edges. This all fits with croc.

So it's mainly just a process of elimination.

Your knowledge is impressive!

19 hours ago, SULLY said:

In the pic from the top down, it looks really shiny. Was there paint work done to this, or is it maybe the flash from the camera?

That's because of the light from my desk lamp reflecting off of it ;)

Max Derème

Well thank you everyone for the replies! 

Max Derème

50 minutes ago, Malone said:

Your knowledge is impressive!

I agree!

Max Derème

Archived