Kem Kem pterosaur tooth?

Max-fossils

Hi all,

This little tooth from the Kem Kem beds was sold to me at a low price.

The seller told me it was a pterosaur tooth. Is this correct?

If so, is it possible to tell the species? (I know that Kem Kem species ID is incredibly hard, so I do expect a 'no' on this... BUT, you never know!)

I can always make more pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Max

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Certainly looks like pterosaur compared to others I saw.

It is very hard to guess the specie. 

Could it be Coloborhynchus??,

I found this comparable tooth online.

Can anyone help?

EAF0B1AC-09AF-4A6F-AAE5-20510B322D62.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Personally, I believe this is a fish tooth of the genus Aidachar. Here is an example of Uzbekistan, but the genus is also described in the KemKem beds.

Aidachar-paludalis-isolated-tooth-crowns-ZIN-PC-38-58-A-B-and-39-58-C-D-in-two.png

• I found this Informative 4

7 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Personally, I believe this is a fish tooth of the genus Aidachar. Here is an example of Uzbekistan, but the genus is also described in the KemKem beds.

Aidachar-paludalis-isolated-tooth-crowns-ZIN-PC-38-58-A-B-and-39-58-C-D-in-two.png

Yes it could very well be.

Hard to tell what it is at 100%.

I know @Tidgy's Dad knows a lot about Moroccan fossils. Maybe he could tell us more? :) 

Appreciate it.

I agree, it does look fish like. But that's just an opinion and I am not an expert in this department:P. I think @Tidgy's Dad might be able to help.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Thanks for the confidence chaps.

I would also say Aidachar sp , or a very similar fish. 

I have only one what i think is a pterosaur tooth  from Kem Kem and its much straighter and thinner than this, though I believe there are other undescribed pterosaurs, mine is Siroccopteryx sp,or so I was led to believe. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If, as appears in the images, it is roughly triangular in cross section, that would probably drive in the last nail for it being from a fish.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I also have Siroccopteryx sp and it looks different. It looks more fish like to me.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for the confidence chaps.

I would also say Aidachar sp , or a very similar fish. 

I have only one what i think is a pterosaur tooth  from Kem Kem and its much straighter and thinner than this, though I believe there are other undescribed pterosaurs, mine is Siroccopteryx sp,or so I was led to believe. 

Is it possible we could see your pterosaur tooth for comparison? :)

Sure, but I only have a couple of really bad old  images taken by computer , I'll have to try and remember tomorrow to get some better ones using wifey's camera phone if people want quality. 

Siroccopteryx.JPG.13deef5eedb597f6c515d15fcdbddcca.JPGSiroccopteryx1.JPG.729540054aa4eeb90875ed3962afe628.JPGHmmmm. Worse than I thought, and I hope you can see the scale from my fingers. Again, accurate measurement tomorrow if need be. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi,

We need more pics @Tidgy's Dad ! We don't see well your fingers...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here is the one I believe to be a pterosaur from the Kem Kem. 

20180316_183917-1.thumb.jpg.dc655abfbc7753b2b79731a3ca0101a4.jpg

20180316_184156-1.thumb.jpg.b87c8efaf72a14c76fb8183f2938806f.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Here is the one I believe to be a pterosaur from the Kem Kem. 

20180316_184156-1.thumb.jpg.b87c8efaf72a14c76fb8183f2938806f.jpg

Looks definitely like a pterosaurus tooth. Is the ruler in cm or inch? If inch, it's a huuuuge tooth. (I guess it will be cm)

4 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Looks definitely like a pterosaurus tooth. Is the ruler in cm or inch? If inch, it's a huuuuge tooth. (I guess it will be cm)

Cm , but they do get bigger than this. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

22 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I only have a couple of really bad old  images taken by computer

Difference Engine by the looks of it. Babbage and Lovelace let you borrow it Adam :rofl:

@DatFossilBoy @gigantoraptor @Troodon @indominus rex @Tidgy's Dad @Auspex @Taogan @Runner64 @amon81

Ah shame, I was really hoping it was a pterosaur tooth! Oh well, a big toothed fishy is also really cool ^_^

One thing though: I have a feeling that these fish teeth you show are more or less round (and the pterosaur teeth shown are also). Yet mine is laterally compressed, as can be seen in pics 3, 4 and 5. It's a rather thin tooth. Is that maybe just due to the position of the tooth in the jaw? Or perhaps it's another fish?

Max Derème

20 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Is the ruler in cm or inch? 

It also says "metric" on the ruler ;)

Max Derème

18 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I’m lucky enough to own a UK pterosaurid tooth, they’re super rare. :) 

Sounds awesome! But you know how it is on TFF, we must see a picture in order to believe you ;)

Max Derème

I agree with the fish identification of Aidachar sp. and easy way to tell these apart from pterosaur is 2 factors the color of the enamel is light and almost looks slightly translucent (not always easy to see from photos) but the second and most identifiable is the shape these teeth start straight from the root of the tooth then curve towards the tip and ome back on its self its a little hard to explain so have a look and this over exaggerated and terrible but to the point paint drawing.

Aidachar.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, Haravex said:

I agree with the fish identification of Aidachar sp. and easy way to tell these apart from pterosaur is 2 factors the color of the enamel is light and almost looks slightly translucent (not always easy to see from photos) but the second and most identifiable is the shape these teeth start straight from the root of the tooth then curve towards the tip and ome back on its self its a little hard to explain so have a look and this over exaggerated and terrible but to the point paint drawing.

Ah okay, I understand better now. Thanks a bunch! :fistbump:

Max Derème