More peace river watershed IDs

minnbuckeye

I received wonderful responses to my requests for Identification/verification of my recent Florida finds. It allowed me to research on my own and begin to understand Florida of the past much better. Today, I provide a few more specimens for Identification:

1. Two more teeth. I will GUESS deer, maybe camel???

2018-03-15.thumb.jpg.681b120eed97743774af4396075156e4.jpg

2. I can't remember what was suggested for this. Maybe dolphin tooth???

2018-03-022.thumb.jpg.51fb94504ec708cff32caae6dce8ba7d.jpg

3. Finally for this section, this mandible was suggested to be from a carnivore. Any stabs as to which one fits this the best. Tell me it was the mandible that my dire wolf tooth came from. Unlikely since I tried fitting it in place already without much success. 

2018-03-014.thumb.jpg.3099cba165b4244ded3b616843ef3786.jpg

Hopefully the responses will be as enlightening as my first post. To all that reply to this or my previous post, I thank you kindly.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

Nice pieces. 

I have little idea of what i'm talking about (as per usual), but the first one looks like llama, the second like dolphin and no idea of the third. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The third fossil looks like the lower jaw of a raccoon (Procyon lotor). 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

2 hours ago, mikeymig said:

The third fossil looks like the lower jaw of a raccoon (Procyon lotor). 

Skip the mandible ID. As it dried out, I began to question if it was really a fossil. The bone did begin to smell when  flame was placed on it. Otherwise, the mandible in question would have been larger than this coon mandible found on line.

raccoon_(procyon_lotor),_right_mandible,_flmnh_10125

The flame test is not accurate for this age since most Pleistocene fossils are unalterd. Ive displayed many mammoth teeth and when I drilled into them the smell was disgusting like burnt hair or a dentist office. Also size depends on the age of the animal when it died. Its the jaw of a carnivore/omnivore and the size fits for coon. 

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

2 hours ago, mikeymig said:

The flame test is not accurate for this age since most Pleistocene fossils are unalterd. Ive displayed many mammoth teeth and when I drilled into them the smell was disgusting like burnt hair or a dentist office. . . . .

This seems to be an extravagant claim.  Do you have evidence other than your experience with drilling mammoth teeth?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Not so extravagant. Over the years I bought many mammoth teeth from Theo Hensken and mounted the teeth using brass pegs so they "floated" over an acrylic display base. No reason to lie or make it up. I tried using Lysol  to get rid of the smell but it then smelled like burnt hair and Lysol. A lot of Pleistocene fossils are unaltered. Mammoth hair from Siberia is still just hair.   

led zeppelin

18 hours ago, mikeymig said:

The flame test is not accurate for this age since most Pleistocene fossils are unalterd. Ive displayed many mammoth teeth and when I drilled into them the smell was disgusting like burnt hair or a dentist office. Also size depends on the age of the animal when it died. Its the jaw of a carnivore/omnivore and the size fits for coon. 

14 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

This seems to be an extravagant claim.  Do you have evidence other than your experience with drilling mammoth teeth?

45 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Not so extravagant. Over the years I bought many mammoth teeth from Theo Hensken and mounted the teeth using brass pegs so they "floated" over an acrylic display base. No reason to lie or make it up. I tried using Lysol  to get rid of the smell but it then smelled like burnt hair and Lysol. A lot of Pleistocene fossils are unaltered. Mammoth hair from Siberia is still just hair.   

Sooo . . . The evidence for your claim that "most Pleistocene fossils  are unaltered [retain collagen]" is your experience with permafrost-preserved mammoth remains.  You argue from a specific example to make a broad gerneralization, an error in logic.

You do realize, don't you, that the fossils in question were recovered in Florida where there is no permafrost and where Pleistocene fossils do not retain collagen.

What seest thou else

The mammoth teeth in question were from the North Sea not "permafrost-preserved" as you have assumed. The ONLY thing that I'm TRYING to say (and give an example) is that not ALL Pleistocene fossils have been altered/fossilized. You questioned my honesty and integrity. We can discuss this further in private if you like.     

led zeppelin

I'm glad you've modified your claim that "most Pleistocene fossils are unaltered." 

Honesty and integrity?  Naw!  I merely questioned your logic.

What seest thou else

@Harry Pristis @mikeymig        I am sorry conflict developed over my post. Now that we have kissed and made up, can ANYONE suggest IDs for #1 and #2? I have labeled the mandible possible raccoon/ may not be a fossil.

#1 and #2 are camelid cheek teeth.  From Florida, they are lamine camelids, Palaeolama mirifica or Hemiauchenia sp.  The smaller tooth (#2) appears to be Palaeolama, but I can't see enough detail to guess about #1 tooth.

camelm2m3.JPG

camelmolar.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

What seest thou else

21 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey Mike,

I like Your new avatar!

@ynot Not as nice as your hummers.

I think number two is a tilly bone Mike. Hard to say from the pics but if it seem proportionately light as opposed to a tooth of similar size that would be a likley guess. I have a few shaped like that. If you don’t see evidence of enamel on it that would be a clue also:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@jcbshark, thanks Jeff, will label it tilly likely. One more post and I should have all my finds IDed!!!!!!!!

Tilly bones are massive.  They don't delaminate like the odontocete tooth in image #2.

What seest thou else

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Tilly bones are massive.  They don't delaminate like the odontocete tooth in image #2.

I agree that it looks different from a tilly where it’s fractured Harry :headscratch:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!